Efficiently Solving a Complex System of Equations in Chemical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of equations in a chemical engineering class. The equations involve unknowns multiplied by each other, which makes it difficult to find a program to solve it. The conversation also mentions that there are only 4 independent equations and suggests solving for 4 of the variables in terms of the fifth. The final answer will be expressed in terms of one of the variables.
robbondo

Homework Statement

qa+2qb=10.158
4qa+6qb=200d
2qa+(7/2)qb=c
2qa+3qb=100d
3.76qc+100d=89.842

Solve for a,b,c,d,q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I desperately want to avoid solving this system of equations by hand. This if for a chemical engineering class and solves a molecular balance of a chemical process. This seems soooo tedious, I would like to find a program to solve it. All of the solvers I have found seem to not work for equations where I have the unkowns multiplied by each other and will only let me equations like 5a + 6b ... not 5qa + 6bc ... HELP! Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well first of all, you can't solve this for numerical values for all 5 unknowns. That's because equations 4 and 2 differ by a factor of 2. Meaning to say your final answers for all the unknowns will be expressed in terms of one of these variables.

I have no college background in chemistry (only high school) so I can't help with the chemistry part, but you might want to double-check the question to see if you can come up with 5 equations which are not combinations of each other.

Yes, you really have only 4 independent equations. But that's plausible- there is no "one" answer to this- what ever the correct numbers for a molecule are, you could double them and get the same formulas for 2 molecules which must also satisfy these equations.

What you can do is solve the equations for 4 of the variables, in terms of the fifth. Then choose that fifth variable as the smallest integer that makes the other four variables integers.

Crud... that's why the program gave me the answer in terms of q. Thanks alot, I didn't catch that.

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations with multiple variables that need to be solved simultaneously. The solution to a system of equations is the set of values that satisfies all of the equations in the system.

What methods can be used to solve a system of equations?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method has its own advantages and is useful for different types of systems.

How do you know if a system of equations has a solution?

A system of equations has a solution if the equations are consistent, meaning they intersect at one point, or if the equations are dependent, meaning they represent the same line. If the equations are inconsistent, meaning they do not intersect, then the system has no solution.

What is the importance of solving a system of equations?

Solving a system of equations is important in many areas of math and science, as well as in real-life applications. It allows us to find the values of unknown variables and make predictions or solve problems based on those values.

How can technology be used to solve a system of equations?

Technology, such as graphing calculators and computer software, can be used to quickly and accurately solve systems of equations. These tools can also graph the equations and show the solution visually, making it easier to understand and interpret the results.