1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a System of equations

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve for a,b,c,d,q

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I desperately want to avoid solving this system of equations by hand. This if for a chemical engineering class and solves a molecular balance of a chemical process. This seems soooo tedious, I would like to find a program to solve it. All of the solvers I have found seem to not work for equations where I have the unkowns multiplied by each other and will only let me equations like 5a + 6b ... not 5qa + 6bc ... HELP! Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Well first of all, you can't solve this for numerical values for all 5 unknowns. That's because equations 4 and 2 differ by a factor of 2. Meaning to say your final answers for all the unknowns will be expressed in terms of one of these variables.

I have no college background in chemistry (only high school) so I can't help with the chemistry part, but you might want to double-check the question to see if you can come up with 5 equations which are not combinations of each other.
  4. Dec 7, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you really have only 4 independent equations. But that's plausible- there is no "one" answer to this- what ever the correct numbers for a molecule are, you could double them and get the same formulas for 2 molecules which must also satisfy these equations.

What you can do is solve the equations for 4 of the variables, in terms of the fifth. Then choose that fifth variable as the smallest integer that makes the other four variables integers.
  5. Dec 7, 2007 #4
    Crud.... that's why the program gave me the answer in terms of q. Thanks alot, I didn't catch that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?