Solving A System of Equations

In summary: Thanks! Now I understand.In summary, the student is trying to solve a system of equations without using matrices, but is having difficulty doing so. He has found a method to eliminate one of the equations but is not sure how to get it into row echelon form.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Solve for a, b, and c.

4c+6b+14a=25
6c+14b+36a=21
14c+36b+98a=105

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to solve this without using matrices.

The easiest way would be to get it into row echelon form and back-substitute. However, I'm not sure how you can get this system of equations into row echelon form.

I can subtract 6 times the first equation from the third equation:

14c+36b+48a=105
- 24c+36b+84a=150
------------------------
-10c+0b+14a=-45

so you get:

-10c+0b+14a=-45
6c+14b+36a=21
14c+36b+98a=105

Next the only thing you could do would be subtract 7 times the first equation from the third equation, but if you did that you would be getting rid of the a term but reintroducing the b term which I just eliminated.

How do you get this into Row Echelon form to solve?

Physics news on Phys.org
First step is divide the first equation by 4. Then subtract appropriate multiples of it from the second and third rows to eliminate the c's from them.

Then divide the second equation by whatever you need to get the coefficient of b = 1 and subtract appropriate multiples of it to eliminate the b's in the other equations. This won't affect the c terms. Continue this process.

Thanks! Now I understand.

themadhatter1 said:

Homework Statement

Solve for a, b, and c.

4c+6b+14a=25
6c+14b+36a=21
14c+36b+98a=105

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to solve this without using matrices.

The easiest way would be to get it into row echelon form and back-substitute. However, I'm not sure how you can get this system of equations into row echelon form.

I can subtract 6 times the first equation from the third equation:

14c+36b+48a=105
- 24c+36b+84a=150
------------------------
-10c+0b+14a=-45

so you get:

-10c+0b+14a=-45
6c+14b+36a=21
14c+36b+98a=105

Next the only thing you could do would be subtract 7 times the first equation from the third equation, but if you did that you would be getting rid of the a term but reintroducing the b term which I just eliminated.

How do you get this into Row Echelon form to solve?
Hold off with that new first equation until you have eliminated b from the other two. 14= 2(7) and 36= 4(9)= 2(2)(3)(3) so multiplying 14 by 18 gives 252 as does multiplying 36 by 7: multiply the second equation by 18 and the third equation by 7 and subtract. That will eliminate b again and now you have two equations in a and c. Combine them to eliminate one of those.

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of equations that are related to each other and can be solved together to find the values of the unknown variables.

What is the process for solving a system of equations?

The process for solving a system of equations involves identifying the unknown variables, choosing a method to solve the equations (such as substitution or elimination), solving for one variable at a time, and then checking the solution by plugging it back into the original equations.

What are the different methods for solving a system of equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, graphing, and matrices. The best method to use depends on the type of equations and the preference of the solver.

What is the importance of solving a system of equations?

Solving a system of equations is important in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows us to find the relationships between different variables and make predictions or solve real-world problems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a system of equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a system of equations include forgetting to distribute negative signs, making errors in arithmetic, and forgetting to check the solution by plugging it back into the original equations. It is also important to pay attention to the order of operations and to keep track of the unknown variables as you solve the equations.