1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a system of ODEs

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    Given the matrix [itex]b=\begin{pmatrix}-1&0&-1\\-4&3&-1\\0&0&-2\end{pmatrix}[/itex] decide if the system of ODEs, [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=Bx[/itex] is decoupled. If yes find the general solution x=xh(t)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I would say the matrix is decoupled since the second equation involving [itex]2x[/itex]2(t) can be solved without the other two equations. Then the third equation can be solved without knowing [itex]x[/itex]1(t). We have:
    [itex]
    x'_1 = -x_1 - x_3 \\
    x'_2 = -4x_1 + 3x_2 - x_3 \\
    x'_3 = -2x_3
    [/itex]
    Im not sure where to go from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

You may want to look into matrix diagonalization [1]. If B can written as A D A-1, where D is a diagonal matrix, can you then use this to rewrite you ODE system to a new uncoupled variable basis?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonalizable_matrix

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    I have found the diagonal matrix,
    [tex]D=
    \begin{pmatrix}
    -1 & 0 & 0\\
    0 & 3 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & -2
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]
    I thought the matrix B was already uncoupled though. Is this not the case?

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

???
    Do you mean the third equation? It involves only x3' and x3.
    The system of equations was not uncoupled. The purpose of finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to B gives you a system that is uncoupled. In an uncoupled system, each equation involves only a single variable and its derivative.

6. Nov 20, 2013 #5
    That was an error on my part, what I meant was the matrix is decoupled since the second equation involving [itex]-2x_3(t)[/itex] can be solved without the other two equations and then we can solve for [itex]x_1(t)[/itex] without knowing [itex] x_2(t)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted