Solving a system of ODEs

• Thread starter jimmycricket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Odes System
In summary: Thank you for pointing out my mistake. In summary, The matrix b=\begin{pmatrix}-1&0&-1\\-4&3&-1\\0&0&-2\end{pmatrix} is decoupled and can be written as A D A-1, where D is a diagonal matrix. This allows us to rewrite the system of ODEs as a new uncoupled variable basis, making it easier to solve for the general solution x=xh(t).
jimmycricket
Given the matrix [itex]b=\begin{pmatrix}-1&0&-1\\-4&3&-1\\0&0&-2\end{pmatrix}[/itex] decide if the system of ODEs, [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=Bx[/itex] is decoupled. If yes find the general solution x=xh(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say the matrix is decoupled since the second equation involving [itex]2x[/itex]2(t) can be solved without the other two equations. Then the third equation can be solved without knowing [itex]x[/itex]1(t). We have:
[itex]
x'_1 = -x_1 - x_3 \\
x'_2 = -4x_1 + 3x_2 - x_3 \\
x'_3 = -2x_3
[/itex]
Im not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to look into matrix diagonalization [1]. If B can written as A D A-1, where D is a diagonal matrix, can you then use this to rewrite you ODE system to a new uncoupled variable basis?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonalizable_matrix

I have found the diagonal matrix,
[tex]D=
\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 3 & 0\\
0 & 0 & -2
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
I thought the matrix B was already uncoupled though. Is this not the case?

jimmycricket said:
Given the matrix [itex]b=\begin{pmatrix}-1&0&-1\\-4&3&-1\\0&0&-2\end{pmatrix}[/itex] decide if the system of ODEs, [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=Bx[/itex] is decoupled. If yes find the general solution x=xh(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say the matrix is decoupled since the second equation involving [itex]2x[/itex]2(t) can be solved without the other two equations.
?
Do you mean the third equation? It involves only x3' and x3.
jimmycricket said:
Then the third equation can be solved without knowing [itex]x[/itex]1(t). We have:
[itex]
x'_1 = -x_1 - x_3 \\
x'_2 = -4x_1 + 3x_2 - x_3 \\
x'_3 = -2x_3
[/itex]
Im not sure where to go from here.

jimmycricket said:
I have found the diagonal matrix,
[tex]D=
\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 3 & 0\\
0 & 0 & -2
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
I thought the matrix B was already uncoupled though. Is this not the case?
The system of equations was not uncoupled. The purpose of finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to B gives you a system that is uncoupled. In an uncoupled system, each equation involves only a single variable and its derivative.

That was an error on my part, what I meant was the matrix is decoupled since the second equation involving [itex]-2x_3(t)[/itex] can be solved without the other two equations and then we can solve for [itex]x_1(t)[/itex] without knowing [itex] x_2(t)[/itex]

1. What is a system of ODEs?

A system of ODEs, or ordinary differential equations, is a set of equations that describe the time evolution of a physical system. Each equation represents the rate of change of a specific variable with respect to time.

2. How do you solve a system of ODEs?

There are several methods for solving a system of ODEs, including analytical methods and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve solving the equations algebraically, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solution. Popular numerical methods include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and the finite difference method.

3. What is the importance of solving a system of ODEs?

Solving a system of ODEs allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex physical systems. This is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology, as it allows us to make informed decisions and develop models for real-world phenomena.

4. What are some common applications of solving systems of ODEs?

Solving systems of ODEs has many practical applications, including predicting weather patterns, modeling chemical reactions, analyzing electrical circuits, and simulating population dynamics. It is also used in fields such as robotics, economics, and epidemiology.

5. How do you know if a system of ODEs has a unique solution?

A system of ODEs has a unique solution if it satisfies the initial conditions and the equations are consistent. This means that the equations do not contradict each other and can be solved simultaneously. In some cases, a system of ODEs may have multiple solutions or no solution at all.