Solving a trigonometric equation help

In summary: Even if you figure out the answer, it's always a good idea to check to make sure you got it right.In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework equation involving cot, but does not have any success. They have found two angles, but are not sure if they are the correct angles. They recommend checking the answer to see if it is correct.
meeklobraca

Homework Statement

sqrt3 cot 3x + 1 = 0 where 0 _<x_<2pie

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I narrowed it down to a constant on one side,

cot 3x = -1/sqrt3 which I could turn into cos x/sin x = -1/sqrt3

but I have no idea where to go from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... if [tex]\cot(3x)=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex], then [tex]\tan(3x)=?[/tex]:wink:

well it would be 1/-1/sqrt3 wouldn't it?

meeklobraca said:
well it would be 1/-1/sqrt3 wouldn't it?

Sure, but [tex]\frac{1}{\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}}=-\sqrt{3}[/tex] right? :wink:

Do you know what angle(s) has a tangent of [itex]-\sqrt{3}[/itex]?

I don't actually. I am only familiar with the unit circle for sin/cos.

As tan(x) is defined as sin(x)/cos(x) you should be able to find the values for tan(x).

Try checking every 30 degrees ([itex]\pi/6[/itex] radians) between 0 and 180 degrees. You should find one value in that range.

Then you know that you want to find all values for [itex]0\leq x\leq2\pi[/itex], so that means that 3x goes from 0 to 6pi Right?

That means you need to find all angles between zero and 6pi where the tangent of those angles is -sqrt{3}. You can use the fact that Tangent is periodic to do that by adding multiples of 180 degrees o the angle you found earlier.

okay well one second here, to find values of tan x using sin x/cos x, do i calculate that with a calculator to find the angle or use the unit circle, cause I am looking at the unit circle and there are no values for sin or cos sqrt3.

use the unit circle: there are values where [tex]\sin(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex] and [tex]\cos(\theta)=\frac{-1}{2}[/tex] aren't there? :wink:

Follow my instructions from my previous post; what is [itex]\tan(0)[/itex]? How about [itex]\tan(\pi/6)[/itex]? How about [itex]\tan(\pi/3)[/itex] ...etc.?

I don't get how you get those sin and cos values from tan sqrt 3.

Like using a calculator I get a value of -60. Then adding 180 degrees I get -60, 120, 300, 480, 660, 840, and 1020 for 3x.

Just plug in angles every 30 degrees from 0 to 180...you'll see where i get them from:wink:

Whats the process of plugging in angles every 30 degrees for tan 3x = sqrt3?

[tex]\tan(0)=\frac{\sin(0)}{\cos(0)}=\frac{0}{1}=0[/tex]

[tex]\tan(30)=\frac{\sin(30)}{\cos(30)}=\frac{1/2}{\sqrt{3}/2}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

[tex]\tan(60)=?[/tex]

[tex]\tan(90)=?[/tex]

[tex]\tan(120)=?[/tex]

[tex]\tan(150)=?[/tex]

[tex]\tan(180)=?[/tex]

Okay I gotcha there.

So the angles I've found are correct then? 120, 300? I assume I don't include the -60 because our range is 0 to 2pie?

meeklobraca said:
Okay I gotcha there.

So the angles I've found are correct then? 120, 300? I assume I don't include the -60 because our range is 0 to 2pie?

If 3x=120, then x=40...you should end up with 6 values for x in between 0 and 2pi

So with this then, I have my two angles of 2pie/3 and 5pie/3, is 3x 2pie/6 5pie/6 and 2pie/9 and 5pie/9? Are those my 6 angles?

OK just have to say this, pi not pie

ahhaha, I am sorry i should know better.

Is my answer is post #16 correct? Or on the right track at least?

The beauty of math at your level is that you can just plug your answer in and see if it's right.

Has anybody ever told you, your not much help?

He was suggesting that you check your answers yourself by plugging them into your original equation. It is a good habit to get into because then you don't need to wait however long it might take for someone else to check them for you.

I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to go about that with an equation that involves cot. Plus I shouldn't have to check. I am trying to figure out how to do these questions, and I can't rely on double checking the answers after.

Well plug them into tan(3x)=-sqrt(3) and use a calculator if you need to. And yes, you should check since you are the one doing the problem.

I don't mean that I don't have to check and that someone else should check for me, I mean that I am trying to learn how to do these problems, so I don't have to. I can look at a problem like that, figure it out, and be confident enough with the answer that I don't have to check.

meeklobraca said:
I don't mean that I don't have to check and that someone else should check for me, I mean that I am trying to learn how to do these problems, so I don't have to. I can look at a problem like that, figure it out, and be confident enough with the answer that I don't have to check.

1) you're = you are, your means something different :)

2) you should ALWAYS check your answers regardless of how confiden you are in them

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent. These equations often involve angles, and solving them typically requires using trigonometric identities and properties.

How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, start by isolating the trigonometric function on one side of the equation. Then, use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equation and find the value(s) of the angle(s) that make the equation true. You may need to use inverse trigonometric functions to find the angle(s) in some cases.

What are the most common trigonometric identities used to solve equations?

Some of the most common trigonometric identities used to solve equations include the Pythagorean identities, the double angle identities, and the sum and difference identities. These identities can help simplify trigonometric expressions and equations, making them easier to solve.

What are some tips for solving trigonometric equations?

When solving a trigonometric equation, it can be helpful to first rewrite the equation in terms of a single trigonometric function. This can make it easier to apply trigonometric identities and solve for the unknown angle(s). It is also important to check your solutions to make sure they satisfy the original equation.

Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations. However, it is important to make sure your calculator is in the correct mode (degrees or radians) and that you are using the correct inverse trigonometric function when necessary. Additionally, it is always a good idea to check your solutions by hand to ensure accuracy.