Solving a Truss: Forces in X & Y Directions?

• Thread starter MMCS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Truss
In summary, the person is seeking help with solving the forces in a truss, specifically questioning whether the 2KN, 4KN, and 2KN forces would be in the y direction due to their diagonal orientation. They also note that the diagram is poorly drawn, making the forces appear skewed.
MMCS
Can sombody help me out with this truss, i want to know firstly, i know i am to solve the forces in the x and y direction if possible, however, my question is, would the 2KN, 4KN and 2KN forces be forces in the y direction because they are not along the y-axis but diagonal.

Thanks

Attachments

• truss.png
    truss.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
From the diagram, it appears these three forces are acting perpendicular to chord BCE which is at an angle of 30 deg. to the horizontal. The truss as a whole is a 30-60-90 triangle, but the diagram is badly drafted so that the forces appear somewhat skewed with respect to the other members of the truss.

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a structural framework made up of interconnected triangular units. It is used to support loads and distribute forces evenly.

2. How do you solve for forces in the X and Y directions in a truss?

To solve for forces in the X and Y directions, you first need to draw a free body diagram of the truss and label all the external forces acting on it. Then, using the method of joints or method of sections, you can analyze the equilibrium of the truss and solve for the unknown forces.

3. What types of forces can act on a truss?

There are two types of forces that can act on a truss: external forces and internal forces. External forces include applied loads, reactions at supports, and self-weight of the truss. Internal forces include axial forces, shear forces, and bending moments.

4. What are the assumptions made when solving a truss?

The main assumptions made when solving a truss are that all members are connected by frictionless pins or hinges, the truss is loaded only at the joints, and the weight of the members is negligible compared to the applied loads.

5. Can a truss be statically indeterminate?

Yes, a truss can be statically indeterminate if the number of unknown forces is greater than the number of equilibrium equations. In this case, additional equations or assumptions are needed to solve for all the unknown forces.