1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving absolute function

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a. Find the value of x such as fx < gx where fx = |2x -1| and gx = x(2-x)
    b. evaluate [tex] \displaystyle\int^1_0 [gx - fx]\,dx [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For question a I make it into 2 equation to 2x-1 = 2x-x^2 and 1 - 2x = 2x - x^2. I solve it and find the value of x = 1, 0.2679 and 3.73. The problem is, which interval should i choose if there is no graph to be sketched? And how do i get 0.2679 = 2 - sqrt of 3?

I have no idea for question b.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should always sketch a graph, whether they ask you to or not. It will make your life much easier. |2x-1|=2x-1 for x>=1/2 and |2x-1|=1-2x for x<=1/2. Work separately on those two intervals. There are only two points of intersection. And to get 0.2679...=2-sqrt(3) exactly, use the quadratic formula to solve the equation. Don't just put it into a calculator and get the numerical results.
  4. Sep 3, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

Problem 1:
    I haven't checked your numbers yet, but you shouldn't find three solutions, only 2. Once you have found the values of [tex] x [/tex] where [tex] f(x) = g(x) [/tex], those are the only places the two functions can be equal. Call the two locations of equality [tex] a, b [/tex], and for purposes of my notes assume that [tex] a < b [tex].

Pick three numbers [tex] x_1 < a [/tex], [tex] a < x_2 < b [/tex], and [tex] b < x_3 [/tex]. Compare the function values at each [tex] x [/tex]. If [tex] f < g [/tex] at your choice, it will be for all other values in that interval. (The same if [tex] g > f [/tex]).

For problem 2: I assume you want

\int_0^1 |g(x) - f(x)| \, dx

To do this you'll need to split this integral into pieces, depending on where [tex] g(x) > f(x) [/tex] and [tex] g(x) < f(x) [/tex]. But that's exactly why you solved problem 1.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?