What is the Solution for Solving an Equation for y?

• Thread starter steve snash
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the equation log5 (14y-12)=2x^6-13 for y and suggests converting the log equation to an equivalent exponential equation. The conversation also touches on different methods for solving log equations and mentions a possible solution of y=(5^(2x^6-13)+12)/14.
steve snash

Homework Statement

solve the equation for y,
log5 (14y-12)=2x^6-13

The Attempt at a Solution

ive got no idea how to work it out I am guessing it must be something to do with making the left side with y equal 1, log5 5 =1 but how do i get that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every log equation can be written as an equivalent exponential equation, and that's what you want to do here.

The basic idea is that M = logaN <==> N = aM

it may help by re-writing the log base b as:
[tex]log_b(z) = \frac{ln(z)}{ln(b)}[/tex]

lanedance said:
it may help by re-writing the log base b as:
[tex]log_b(z) = \frac{ln(z)}{ln(b)}[/tex]
Or maybe not. The OP would like to solve for y, which means he needs to get rid of the log part, not write it in some other base.

fair point - i was heading in the same direction, I've just found a lot of people find it easier convert:
X = lnY <==> Y = eM
rather than
M = logaN <==> N = aM
though i know it is really just a redundant step

that makes the equation come up as (14y-12)=5^(2x^6-13)
this then becomes ,
y=(5^(2x^6-13)+12)/14
which i found is the wrong answer =(
is there a way to get rid of the 5^ and simplify it down?

What do you mean "found is the wrong answer"? That is a perfectly good solution to the problem.

really, sweet ty hallsofivy

What is the purpose of solving an equation for y?

Solving an equation for y allows us to find the value of y that satisfies the given equation. This can be helpful in understanding relationships between variables and making predictions.

What are the steps for solving an equation for y?

The steps for solving an equation for y depend on the type of equation, but generally involve isolating the variable y on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side. This can be done through various algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

Can any equation be solved for y?

Not all equations can be solved for y, as some may have multiple solutions or no real solutions. In such cases, the equation may be unsolvable or may require additional information to find a unique solution.

What is the difference between solving for y and solving for x?

Solving for y involves isolating the variable y on one side of the equation, while solving for x involves isolating the variable x. The steps for solving for x are similar to those for solving for y, but the specific operations used may differ depending on the equation.

Why is it important to check the solution when solving for y?

Checking the solution is important to ensure that the value of y found satisfies the original equation. This helps to avoid errors and confirm the accuracy of the solution.