1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an equation in x

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

if f(x) = 1/x
    solve the equations f(x) = y in x. There may be different cases depending on y.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The wording here is kind of confusing, how am I supposed to solve this equation? What does it mean is a better question. What would I put in the solution set?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2
    The question is not clear at all.

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps you meant "solve the equation y= 1/x for x. That would be very easy to do.

5. Apr 3, 2014 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with Dirk and Halls. The problem statement is nonsense, but if it's actually written like that, it's likely that they meant this: Let f be the function defined by f(x)=1/x for all x. Solve the equation f(x)=y for x.

6. Apr 3, 2014 #5
    Well here is the actual question 5ba137.png

7. Apr 3, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Was ##f(x) = 1/x## specified in an earlier part of the question? If not, then the actual question is very different from what you first wrote here.

8. Apr 3, 2014 #7
    Well there were a bunch of different functions, and I had to do this question for all of them.

9. Apr 3, 2014 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know why they wrote "in", but you're definitely supposed to solve the equation f(x)=y for x.

Maybe they're thinking that a phrase like "f(x)=y is an equation in x" is a valid way to ensure that they can now say "solve the equation" instead of "solve the equation for x". Or maybe it was just an editing mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted