Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an equation with several numerically estimated derivatives

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I've been tossing and turning all night as I work out a particular optimality condition in my ongoing work on classifier fusion. Essentially I want to minimize the sum of a multivariate normal distribution function at several points, where the different terms differ in being the probability contained in a open hypercube of the form (-inf, k)x(k, inf)x..., that is each term is the integral of the multivariate normal PDF over the cartesian product of some finite sequence whose elements are either (-inf, k) or (k, inf). These integrals have no analytical expression, they are usually calculated by numerically integrating the normal PDF. These values are available to me through a R library.

In order to find the minima of this, I have to differentiate by k and set it equal to 0. For this I need to numerically estimate the partial derivatives of each integral and add them up. So I have to solve an equation whose terms can only be numerically estimated. How would I go about doing this? Or is there an easier way and I'm making this too brute-force?

Thanks a lot.

Molu

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted