Solving Equation x= (1+c+a)/(2-a): Need Help!

• Thread starter koolmodee
  • Start date
In summary, Ford was trying to solve an equation involving fractions and got sidetracked. He realized his mistake and fixed it, but someone else was also struggling with the same problem and may have been helped by his earlier posts.
koolmodee
x=[tex]\frac{1+c+a(\frac{1+c+ax}{2})}{2}[/tex]

should give x=[tex]\frac{1+c}{2-a}[/tex]

I've been trying to solve it now for like two hours. Some hints?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you did, it is hard to tell where is your problem. In general equation is not difficult - multiply, rearrange and you should get there.

x=1/2+1/2c+1/4a+1/4ac+1/4a²x

How do I get rid of the a² especially?

koolmodee said:
x=1/2+1/2c+1/4a+1/4ac+1/4a²x

How do I get rid of the a² especially?
So x- 1/4 a2x= (1- 1/4 a)x= 1/2+ 1/2 c+ 1/4 a+ 1/4 ac
Now what do you do?

HallsofIvy said:
So x- 1/4 a2x= (1- 1/4 a)x= 1/2+ 1/2 c+ 1/4 a+ 1/4 ac

More like

[tex]x-\frac 1 4 a^2x = (1- \frac 1 4 a^2)x[/tex]

Dividing by a?

(1/a-a/4)x=1/2a + c/2a + 1/4 + c/4

but now?

NO! Divide by (1- 1/4 a2)!

Why should I do that?

Nothing cancels then on the RHS?

Divide, you will be surprised how many things cancel out :smile:

hint:

[tex]a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b)[/tex]

Got it! thanks, guys!

I am getting x = (1+c) / (1/2-a)

Is everyone else getting the "2-a" as the denominator as it was stated in the solution posted?

Never-mind. I got "2-a" as my denominator now :) .

I didn't think to separate the "1" into "(2(1/2))", so that the "1/2's" could cancel out. Although, if I had not done that, and I just divided the "1/2" in the numerator, by the "1" in the denominator, to get "1/2-a", why exactly would it have been wrong?

This was the set up that I had...

x= (1/2 + 1/4a) (1+c) / (1-1/4a^2) ...

Then I rearranged the denominator so that values could cancel out...

x= (1/2 + 1/4a) (1+c) / (2(1/2)) - a(1/4a) ...where the "1/2" and the "1/4a" cancel out...

but again...what if I had changed the denominator to "1 - a(1/4a)" and got "1/2-a"?

Thanks to anyone else in advance...I hope I was clear enough with my question.

-Ford

Where did you get 1/2 from?

[tex]1-\frac {a^2} 4 = (1 - \frac a 2)(1 + \frac a 2)[/tex]

It is much simpler IMHO to start by multiplying both sides of the equation by 4 at some early stage - then you end without fractions.

Sorry to waste your time Borek. I noticed another error I made in my earlier calculations which screwed the whole problem up (so everyone, ignore my previous posts! haha). Since then I have fixed it and have the correct solution. Thank you anyway for your help!
-Ford

Why all the superfluous algebraic manipulation and rearranging? Just consider the root equation satisfied here:

x = (1+c+ax)/2

Solving for x gives the desired conclusion immediately.

1. How do I solve the equation x= (1+c+a)/(2-a)?

To solve this equation, you can use the order of operations (PEMDAS) to simplify the expression and isolate the variable x. Begin by distributing the negative sign to the terms inside the parentheses. Then, combine like terms and isolate x by dividing both sides by the coefficient in front of x. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, a calculator can be used to help with the calculations involved in solving this equation. However, it is important to still follow the proper order of operations and simplify the expression manually before using a calculator.

3. What is the importance of solving equations in science?

Solving equations is essential in science as it allows us to find unknown values and understand relationships between variables. In many scientific experiments, equations are used to represent natural phenomena and make predictions about the behavior of systems.

4. Are there any rules or tips for solving equations?

Yes, there are some helpful rules and tips for solving equations. One important rule is to always perform the same operation on both sides of the equation in order to maintain balance. Some tips include simplifying the expression before solving, checking your solution, and breaking down complicated equations into smaller, more manageable steps.

5. Can you show me an example of solving this type of equation?

Sure, let's solve the equation x= (1+c+a)/(2-a) where c=3 and a=2. First, we distribute the negative sign to the terms inside the parentheses to get x= (1+3+2)/(2-2). Next, we simplify the expression to get x= 6/0. Since division by zero is undefined, there is no solution to this equation. Therefore, we would say that this equation is unsolvable or has no solution.