1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an IC

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    Its funny.. because I got this right on a test.. but.. I'm looking back at it.. and it doesn't make sense how I figured it out...

I had to find the IC of [tex]d(\frac{x^2}{y})[/tex]

this was my work...

[tex]d(\frac{x^2}{y}) = 2xy - x^2y^2 - y^2[/tex]
    [tex]d(\frac{x^2}{y}) = \frac{2xy - x^2y}{y^2}[/tex]

I'm just confused because I would of thought that it would of been something like this...

[tex]d(\frac{x^2}{y}) = 2xy^-^1 + x^2y^-^2[/tex]

hmm...?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "IC"? When I saw "Solving an IC" in the differential equation forum, I thought you mean an "initial condition" problem but I see no differential equation at all here!

Certainly, the derivative of x2/y is, by the quotient rule,
    [tex]\frac{2xy- x^2}{y^2}[/tex]
    There is no "y" in the second term in the numerator. (I surely don't see where you get your first line
    [tex]d(\frac{x^2}{y}) = 2xy - x^2y^2 - y^2[/tex]
    that makes no sense to me.)

Of course, you could also write x2/y as x2y-1 and use the product rule. In that case, the dervative is
    [tex]2xy^{-1}+ (-1)x^2y^{-2}[/tex]
    Just rewrite that as
    [tex]\frac{2x}{y}- \frac{x^2}{y^2}[/tex]
    multiply the numerator and denominator of the first fraction by y and combine and you get the same answer as with the quotient rule.

Since this has nothing to do with differential equations, I moving it to calculus.

4. Mar 8, 2007 #3
    sorry, I didn't know the difference, this was on a DE test

but thanks for explaining it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?