Help with Solving an Inequation: |n| < (ε(n³+1))/2

• Thread starter ShizukaSm
  • Start date
In summary: BTW, we call them inequalities in English.Oh, I apologize, I'm not from an English speaking country, so Inequality, got it.
ShizukaSm

Homework Statement

I was doing a certain problem, and in the end, I got this inequation which I can't solve. Probably due to lack of skill, can someone give me a hand on it?

[itex]|n|<\frac{\epsilon(n^3 + 1)}{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]|n|(1-\frac{\epsilon*n^2}{2})< \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/itex]

I tried rearranging in this way, but still, no dice. I know that n must be positive, and I actually plan on plugging different values of epsilon, but still, I can't solve this inequation.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the problem exactly?

Capture2.PNG

The number 27 on this list.

ShizukaSm said:

Homework Statement

I was doing a certain problem, and in the end, I got this inequation which I can't solve. Probably due to lack of skill, can someone give me a hand on it?

I tried rearranging in this way, but still, no dice. I know that n must be positive, and I actually plan on plugging different values of epsilon, but still, I can't solve this inequation.

Since n > 0, you don't need the absolute values.

Are you trying to solve for n or for ##\epsilon##? If you're trying to solve for ##\epsilon##, that's pretty simple, but if you're trying to solve for n, you have a messy third-degree polynomial that makes factoring difficult, if not impossible. That would leave only numerical approximations or graphical solutions as potential approaches.

BTW, we call them inequalities in English.

Oh, I apologize, I'm not from an English speaking country, so Inequality, got it.

I'm trying to solve for ϵ.

We typically use letters such as M or N to represent large numbers, and Greek letters ##\epsilon## and ##\delta## for small (close to zero) numbers.

You want to find a (large) number N such that 2n/(n^3 + 1) > N. For any given value of N you can use trial and error to find the smallest value of n that satisfies the inequality.

Wait, wait, I thought that :

[itex]
\\a_n = \frac{2n}{n^3 + 1}\\
|{a_n-L}| < \epsilon \\
L =\lim_{n->\infty} a_n = 0\\
|{a_n}| < \epsilon \\
[/itex]

And thus, my problem was:

[itex]|\frac{2n}{n^3 + 1}|<\epsilon\\[/itex]

And N would be an particular "n" for a particular epsilon, isn't that the case?

I'm sorry, I didn't look close enough at your sequence, and mistakenly thought that you needed to show that it diverged. Your use of ##\epsilon## was correct. I'm sorry for steering you the wrong direction.

An ##\epsilon## would normally be given, so your goal would be to find n so that the inequality was true. The usual way would be to use trial and error.

Note that, since n > 0, you don't need absolute values in the inequality.

Ah, that's fine, don't worry!

While I agree that I don't need absolute values, my problem still is with the inequality :/ How would I go about solving it?

So applying the definition :

[itex]\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists N \space | \space n>N \Rightarrow |a_n -L| < \epsilon[/itex]

So now :

[itex]|a_n - L| =|\frac{2n}{n^3 + 1} - 0| = |\frac{2n}{n^3 + 1}| = \frac{2n}{n^3 + 1}[/itex] since n > 0.

Lets say we take the case where ε=1 as per your question. Okay, now that we have something plausible to work with consider :

[itex]\frac{2n}{n^3 + 1} < 1[/itex]
[itex]\frac{n}{n^3 + 1} < \frac{1}{2}[/itex]
[itex]n^2 + \frac{1}{n} > 2[/itex]

Can you continue from here?

Thanks for the input Zondrina!

I can't, that's exactly the point I made in OP, I don't know how to solve inequalities in this form. I usually try to factor them out, but I can't really find a factorization in this case. I can't apply the Rational Roots Theorem either, so, in short, I don't know how to proceed.

ShizukaSm said:

Homework Statement

In the context of the original problem you posted, you do NOT need to find the entire range of n values; you just need to find an N = N(ε) such that for all n ≥ N the inequality holds. Finding the *smallest* such N is hard; finding some N that works is a lot easier.

So, for n > 0 and ε > 0, we have ## \epsilon \, n^3/2 < \epsilon \, (n^3+1)/2,##, so if we satisfy ##n \leq \epsilon \, n^3/2,## that value of n will also satisfy the original inequality. Solving ##n \leq \epsilon \, n^3/2## is a much easier problem.

1. What is an inequation?

An inequation is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It is similar to an equation, but instead of an equal sign, it uses an inequality sign.

2. How do you solve an inequation?

To solve an inequation, you need to follow the same steps as solving an equation, but with some additional rules. First, isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. Then, if you multiply or divide both sides of the inequation by a negative number, you need to flip the direction of the inequality sign. Finally, simplify the remaining expression to find the solution set.

3. Can you solve an inequation algebraically and graphically?

Yes, an inequation can be solved algebraically by manipulating the inequality and solving for the variable. It can also be solved graphically by plotting the inequality on a number line and shading the appropriate region that represents the solution set.

4. What are the key differences between solving equations and solving inequations?

The main difference between solving equations and solving inequations is that equations have one specific solution, whereas inequations have a range of solutions that satisfy the inequality. Additionally, when solving inequations, there are additional rules for dealing with multiplying or dividing by negative numbers and flipping the direction of the inequality sign.

5. How can you check if a solution to an inequation is correct?

You can check if a solution to an inequation is correct by plugging the solution back into the original inequality and seeing if it satisfies the inequality. If the solution is within the range of values that make the inequality true, then it is a valid solution.