1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an inquality

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So this is the question

|x-1|+|x-2|>1

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried it, the solution seems right, but i don't know if my approach is correct.

xbdddy.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Think about these absolute values like this:

At x=1 or x=2, one of the absolute values is 0, so you can call these the "roots" (thought not technically roots, I can't think of a more appropriate name for them right now), so what you want to do is check all possibilities around those roots, and the roots themselves.

Check:

x<1
    For this range, both [itex]x-1[/itex] and [itex]x-2[/itex] will be negative, so the inequality you need to solve would be [tex]-(x-1)-(x-2)>1[/tex]

1<x<2
    Here you will have [itex]x-1>0[/itex] and [itex]x-2<0[/itex] so what you need to solve is [tex](x-1)-(x-2)>1[/tex]

x>2
    For this value, both are positive so it should be clear what you need to solve here.

And then always check the "roots" themselves. Plug in the values of x=1 and x=2. By this point, you've checked all possible cases and should have your solution set.

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3
    The way I learned it:

To solve |ax+b|>k, solve ax+b>k and ax+b<-k. (This is basically what you did.)

Then I would plug test values into the original equation to see if it makes a true or false statement. You would use the intervals (-[itex]\infty[/itex],1);(1,2);(2,[itex]\infty[/itex]).

The values from those intervals that make true statements give you your solution set.

5. Feb 11, 2012 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

edit: I just realized that your question is a special case. What if it was instead [tex]|x-1|+|x-2|>2[/tex] or [tex]|x-1|+|x-2|>0[/tex] ? For the first what you need to do is check when [tex]|x-1|+|x-2|=2[/tex] and then check each interval around that.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. Feb 11, 2012 #5
    Thanks Mentallic and Adaptation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook