Solving Inequality: |x-1|+|x-2|>1

• Thread starter solar nebula
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking to solve the inequality |x-1|+|x-2|>1. The approach to solving this is to think about the absolute values as "roots" at x=1 and x=2. Then, we check all possibilities around these roots and the roots themselves by plugging in values for x in the intervals (-∞,1), (1,2), and (2,∞). This will give us the solution set for the inequality. The same approach can be applied for other cases, such as |x-1|+|x-2|>2 or |x-1|+|x-2|>0.
solar nebula

Homework Statement

So this is the question

|x-1|+|x-2|>1

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried it, the solution seems right, but i don't know if my approach is correct.

xbdddy.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about these absolute values like this:

At x=1 or x=2, one of the absolute values is 0, so you can call these the "roots" (thought not technically roots, I can't think of a more appropriate name for them right now), so what you want to do is check all possibilities around those roots, and the roots themselves.

Check:

x<1
For this range, both [itex]x-1[/itex] and [itex]x-2[/itex] will be negative, so the inequality you need to solve would be [tex]-(x-1)-(x-2)>1[/tex]

1<x<2
Here you will have [itex]x-1>0[/itex] and [itex]x-2<0[/itex] so what you need to solve is [tex](x-1)-(x-2)>1[/tex]

x>2
For this value, both are positive so it should be clear what you need to solve here.

And then always check the "roots" themselves. Plug in the values of x=1 and x=2. By this point, you've checked all possible cases and should have your solution set.

The way I learned it:

To solve |ax+b|>k, solve ax+b>k and ax+b<-k. (This is basically what you did.)

Then I would plug test values into the original equation to see if it makes a true or false statement. You would use the intervals (-[itex]\infty[/itex],1);(1,2);(2,[itex]\infty[/itex]).

The values from those intervals that make true statements give you your solution set.

edit: I just realized that your question is a special case. What if it was instead [tex]|x-1|+|x-2|>2[/tex] or [tex]|x-1|+|x-2|>0[/tex] ? For the first what you need to do is check when [tex]|x-1|+|x-2|=2[/tex] and then check each interval around that.

Last edited:
Thanks Mentallic and Adaptation!

1. What is the first step in solving an inequality with absolute value?

The first step is to isolate the absolute value expression by itself on one side of the inequality. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition or subtraction, to move any other terms to the other side of the inequality.

2. How do you determine the critical values in an absolute value inequality?

The critical values in an absolute value inequality are the points where the absolute value expression equals 0. In this case, the critical values are x = 1 and x = 2, since these are the points where |x-1| and |x-2| equal 0, respectively.

3. What is the significance of the critical values in solving an absolute value inequality?

The critical values act as boundaries for the solution set of the inequality. Any values of x that fall between the critical values will satisfy the inequality, while any values outside of the critical values will not. In other words, the critical values help us determine which parts of the number line to include in our solution set.

4. How do you solve an absolute value inequality with two absolute value expressions?

In this case, we can break the inequality into two separate inequalities, one for each absolute value expression. This allows us to find two different solution sets, which we can then combine to find the final solution set for the original inequality.

5. How do you represent the solution of an absolute value inequality on a number line?

The solution set for an absolute value inequality can be represented on a number line by shading in the appropriate regions between the critical values. In this case, we would shade in the region between 1 and 2, as well as any values greater than 2 or less than 1. This represents all the values of x that satisfy the given inequality.