1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an RC circuit

1. Jul 14, 2012 #1
    Hey,
    Actually I am working on my research project and facing a problem on solving a simple series RC circuit. But the problem is the Resistance and capacitance of the circuit is increasing with the time, and I am working on finding the value of R and C at the steady state as well as the time switch is closed(t=0). These two values are obviously going to be different as both R and C are increasing with time.
    All information I have about the problem in I have the value of DC input voltage and the current waveform
    Also I am working on the charging side of the problem.
    I would be highly obliged if anybody could give me some hint or help.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How fast are R and C are increasing? If much slower than the RC time constant just work out the circuit response at several points in time.

In the real world the manufacturing tollerance on R and C can vary anyway. For R it mught 0.5-2%. For C it could be anywhere from <1% to 80% depending on the type of capacitor. Some types of capacitors also age.

4. Jul 14, 2012 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it's the classic Battery -> switch -> R -> C circuit and the switch is closed at t=0 then

At t=0 the voltage on the capacitor is zero and that does not change with R or C. The current will be I=V/R and that _will_ change with R but not C.

At t=infinity, The voltage on the capacitor will equal the supply voltage which is independant of R or C. The current will be zero which is also independant of R or C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook