1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving another pde

1. Nov 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following pde: ##\sum_{i=1}^n c_i f_{x_i} = 0##,

where all the ##c_i## are real valued and ##c_1 \neq 0##, and ##f## is the unknown defined from ##\mathbb{R}^n\to \mathbb{R}## and of class ##{\cal C}^1(\mathbb{R}^n,\mathbb{R})##

Show there exists an invertible ##n\times n## real matrix ##M## such that such that the change of variable ## X = M x## simplifies the pde to ##F_{X_1} = 0##, where ##F(X) = f(x)##. Then what is the general solution to this pde.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming there exists such a solution, and such a matrix. Then the change of variable is of class ##{\cal C}^1(\mathbb{R}^n,\mathbb{R}^n)##, bijective, and its inverse has same regularity. So ##F## has the same regularity as ##f## and its partial derivatives are defined. Wa have:

## 0 = \sum_{i=1}^n c_i f_{x_i}(x) = \sum_{i=1}^n c_i (\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{\partial X_k}{\partial x_i} F_{X_k}(X)) = \sum_{i=1}^n c_i (\sum_{k=1}^n m_{ki} F_{X_k}(X)) = \sum_{k=1}^n (\sum_{i=1}^n c_i m_{ki}) F_{X_k}(X) ##

So we must choose ##M## such that ## M_{1,\bullet} \ \vec c =1## and ##M_{k,\bullet}\ \vec c = 0## for ##k\neq 1##. So we can choose

##M = \begin{pmatrix}
    \frac{1}{c_1} & 0 & \ldots & 0 \\
    \frac{-c_2}{c_1} & 1 & 0 & \vdots \\
    \vdots &0 & \ddots & \ldots \\
    \frac{-c_n}{c_1} & \ldots & \ldots & 1
    \end{pmatrix} ##

It's determinant is ##\frac{1}{c_1}\neq 0 ## so ##M## is invertible and with such a matrix, ##F_{X_1} = 0##.

The solutions to this pde have the form ## F(X) = \lambda(X_2,...,X_n) ##, where ##\lambda \in {\cal C}^1(\mathbb{R}^ {n-1},\mathbb{R})##, so returning to ##f##, then

##f(x) = \lambda(M_{2,\bullet}\ x,...,M_{n,\bullet}\ x) = \lambda( x_2 - \frac{c_2}{c_1} x_1 , ..., x_n - \frac{c_n}{c_1} x_1)##

Are you ok with that proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2015 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nobody?

I checked the math and it looks correct. A second opinion would be appreciated though.

4. Nov 29, 2015 #3
    Thank you Samy for looking at it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted