1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving arg(z1z2)?

1. Sep 14, 2006 #1
    I am confused on a homework problem.

It states that the Arg(z1z2) = Arg (z1) + Arg (z2) if -90 < z1 >/= 90 , and -90 < z2 >/= 90 , describe the set of points that meet this criteria? I am not sure how to answer this, I'm not sure I know entirely what they are asking. I haven't taken a math course in 3 years so I'm out of practice. Please help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2006 #2
    can you post exactly what the problem says? i don't understand the -90 < z1 >/= 90 stuff. it looks like it could mean arg(z1) is in some range of degrees but it's not clear.

4. Sep 19, 2006 #3
    That is what the book says except the book uses radians instead of degrees

5. Sep 19, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then don't covert to degrees. That just confuses the issue.

The further problem is that "It states that the Arg(z1z2) = Arg (z1) + Arg (z2) if -90 < z1 >/= 90 , and -90 < z2 >/= 90 , describe the set of points that meet this criteria? " says nothing about what "criteria" are being referred to!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?