1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving complex equation

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (2+5i)/(x-y)-(1-3i)/(x+y)=-7x+12i/y(square)+x(square)

2. Relevant equations
    I only know the result to be x=-5/14 y=-1/14

3. The attempt at a solution
    If you could only lead on how to proceed I would be grateful
    Xbtw is there any software that could solve the above equation ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2010 #2
    Mathematica would solve that sort of equation just fine. So would Maple and Matlab for that matter. www.wolframalpha.com would also suffice. As for solving it by hand, I dont see any clear way to do it without a whole lot of work.

4. Aug 1, 2010 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On the left hand side express as a single fraction, which involves multiplying the denominators, which gives denominator (x2 - y2), unfortunately not quite the same as a denominator appearing on the right-hand side - and I wonder whether you have transcribed it properly, whether it is not really 12i/(y2 + x2). If it is that, you can combine those two bits into (something)/(x4 - y4). Whether it's that or really ...+ 12i/y2 +... still combine into one fraction. In the end express the whole thing with a single denominator. Numerator = 0 gives you solutions but watch out whether enumerator and denominator have common factor which=0 is not a solution of problem.

You being stuck suggests you probably need to revise adding/subtracting fractions, you may need to revise how to deal with expressions with complex numbers - here nothing needed except work like with real numbers but just whenever you get i2 it becomes -1.

I haven't done it and don't know whether any significant simplifications come up; it is some work but a quite routine problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook