How Do You Solve Complex Number Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a polynomial equation over the complex numbers, specifically z^3+8=0. The first attempt is incorrect and the second attempt is incomplete as it only finds one of the three roots. The correct method involves dividing the polynomial by (z+2) and solving the resulting quadratic. The conversation ends with the person understanding the solution.
missmerisha
I hope, I've posted this question in the right section.

Homework Statement

Solve the fooling equation over C

z^3+ 8 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

First Attempt
z^3 = -8
cube root (2 ^3) = cube root (8 i^2 )
z = 2i

Second Attempt
z^3 = -8
z ^3 = -2 ^3
so, z = -2

Physics news on Phys.org
Or you could convert -8 into polar form, then using De Moivre's theorem get all three cube roots.

We're learning Polar Form next year and I have never heard of De Moivre's Theorem.

So, is my second attempt incorrect?

Your first attempt is incorrect; [itex](2i)^3=-8i\neq -8[/itex]

Your second attempt is not incorrect but it is incomplete: [itex]z^3+8=0[/itex] is a 3rd degree polynomial equation; so it must have three roots. You have correctly found one root [itex]z=-2[/itex], but you still need to find the other two.

One method is to divide your polynomial [itex]z^3+8[/itex] by [itex]z+2[/itex] (Since z=-2 is a root, you know (z+2) must be a factor of the polynomial) which will leave you with a quadratic that you can solve to find your other two roots.

thanks
I've got it now.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). Complex numbers are typically used in mathematics and engineering to represent quantities that cannot be expressed using only real numbers.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, to add (3 + 4i) and (2 + 5i), we add 3 and 2 to get the real part 5, and add 4i and 5i to get the imaginary part 9i. So the sum is (5 + 9i). To subtract, we follow the same process but with subtraction instead of addition.

3. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a + bi is the number a - bi. In other words, it is the complex number with the same real part but with the sign of the imaginary part flipped. For example, the conjugate of 3 + 4i is 3 - 4i.

4. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, we use the FOIL method (First, Outside, Inside, Last). For example, to multiply (3 + 4i) and (2 + 5i), we multiply 3 by 2 to get 6, then 3 by 5i to get 15i, then 4i by 2 to get 8i, and finally 4i by 5i to get 20i². Simplifying, we get (6 + 23i - 20) which becomes (-14 + 23i). To divide complex numbers, we multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator and then simplify.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and even in the study of fractals. They are used to represent alternating currents in electrical engineering, to solve differential equations in physics, and to model financial markets in economics. They also have applications in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics.