Solving Corrosion & Heat Transfer Problems on Steel Vat Plated with Zinc

In summary, the speaker has a complex problem involving a steel vat plated with zinc and storing sulfuric acid. They need to determine corrosion rates, heat transfer, thermal stresses, elastic and plastic deformation, hydrogen build up and diffusion, and the time until failure. With only two days to complete the assignment, the speaker is struggling and looking for resources to help. Some suggested resources include the NACE Corrosion Wiki, the Engineering Toolbox, Wolfram Alpha, and the Diffusion Equation Calculator. The speaker will also need to develop a model and use engineering principles to estimate the time until failure.
omagdon7
I have a problem that I need to solve that is quite extensive it boils down to this. I have a steel vat that's been plated with zinc and its being used to store sulfuric acid. I have to find corrosion rates, heat transfer and thermal stresses, elastic and plastic deformation problems, hydrogen build up and diffusion, and the amount of time till the thing finally fails and steel meets acid.

My teacher was horrible I have no idea where to start and this seems like an unreasonable assignment since it accounts for half of my grade and I have 2 days. Any suggestions hints or links to sights that explain the concepts herein would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, in two days it will be impossible to get a full understanding of all the concepts you need to solve this problem. However, there are some resources you can use to help you understand the concepts and apply them to your problem. For corrosion rates and hydrogen build up, you can find information on the NACE Corrosion Wiki page (https://www.nace.org/corrosion-wiki/). Here, you can find information about different types of corrosion and their effects.For heat transfer and thermal stresses, you can reference the Heat Transfer section of the Engineering Toolbox (https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/heat-transfer-d_429.html) which has a range of equations and diagrams you can use to calculate these values. You can also reference the website Wolfram Alpha (https://www.wolframalpha.com/) which can provide answers and graphs to help with elastic and plastic deformation problems. Additionally, you can use the Diffusion Equation Calculator (https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/diffusion-equation) to help with diffusion problems.Finally, for the amount of time till failure, you will need to develop a model of your system and use engineering principles to make an estimate. You can reference this article from Engineering Toolbox (https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/failure-modes-d_1226.html) to help with understanding how to approach this part of the problem.I hope these resources help you! Good luck!

Hello,

I understand that you are facing a difficult and extensive problem with your steel vat plated with zinc. It is understandable that you are feeling overwhelmed and unsure of where to start. I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and tackling them one at a time.

First, let's start with the corrosion rates. This will depend on the concentration and temperature of the sulfuric acid, as well as the composition and thickness of the zinc plating. You can research the corrosion rates of zinc in sulfuric acid and use that as a starting point.

Next, for heat transfer and thermal stresses, you will need to consider the temperature of the sulfuric acid and the surrounding environment, as well as the thickness and thermal conductivity of the steel and zinc layers. This will help you determine the rate of heat transfer and potential thermal stresses on the vat.

For elastic and plastic deformation problems, consider the weight of the sulfuric acid and the structural integrity of the steel vat. You can research the yield strength and modulus of elasticity of the steel and use that to calculate any potential deformations under the weight of the acid.

Hydrogen build-up and diffusion can also be a concern, as hydrogen can cause embrittlement in steel. Research the solubility of hydrogen in sulfuric acid and its potential diffusion into the steel vat.

Lastly, the time until failure will depend on the rate of corrosion and any potential structural issues caused by the sulfuric acid. You can use the information gathered from the previous steps to estimate the time until the steel meets the acid.

I understand that this is a challenging assignment and that you have limited time to complete it. I would recommend seeking help from classmates or a tutor if possible. You can also refer to online resources or textbooks on corrosion and heat transfer for a better understanding of the concepts involved.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in completing your assignment. Don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance.

Related to Solving Corrosion & Heat Transfer Problems on Steel Vat Plated with Zinc

1. What causes corrosion on steel vats plated with zinc?

Corrosion on steel vats plated with zinc is primarily caused by the reaction of the zinc coating with moisture and oxygen in the environment. This results in the formation of zinc oxide, which can eventually break down the protective layer and expose the steel to further corrosion.

2. How can corrosion on steel vats plated with zinc be prevented?

To prevent corrosion on steel vats plated with zinc, it is important to ensure that the zinc coating is properly applied and has a uniform thickness. Regular maintenance and inspection can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems. Additionally, keeping the vats dry and avoiding exposure to corrosive substances can also help prevent corrosion.

3. Can heat transfer affect the corrosion rate on steel vats plated with zinc?

Yes, heat transfer can have a significant impact on the corrosion rate of steel vats plated with zinc. Higher temperatures can accelerate the corrosion process by increasing the rate of chemical reactions and promoting the breakdown of the zinc coating. It is important to carefully monitor and control the temperature of the vats to minimize corrosion.

4. What are some effective methods for solving corrosion and heat transfer problems on steel vats plated with zinc?

Some effective methods for solving corrosion and heat transfer problems on steel vats plated with zinc include using protective coatings, such as epoxy or polyurethane, to prevent direct contact between the steel and the corrosive environment. Additionally, implementing proper insulation and ventilation can help regulate the temperature and reduce the risk of corrosion.

5. How can the lifespan of steel vats plated with zinc be extended?

The lifespan of steel vats plated with zinc can be extended by implementing regular maintenance and inspection, using high-quality materials for the zinc coating, and carefully monitoring and controlling the temperature and environment. It is also important to address any corrosion issues promptly to prevent further damage and extend the lifespan of the vats.