What is the error in my approach to solving ∫cosh^2(x)sinh(x)dx?

• Thread starter desquee
  • Start date
In summary, when trying to solve the homework equation cosh2(x)sinh(x)dx, one should use the substitution u = cosh(x), du = sinh(x)dx.sinh x dx is d(what). If one makes a mistake when plugging in a number for x, the results may not be correct.
desquee
Solving this the simple way I got the right solution, but I also tried to solve it a different way and got it wrong. I want to know where I went wrong the second way.

1. Homework Statement

∫cosh2(x)sinh(x)dx = ?

Homework Equations

cosh(x)sinh(x) = (1/2)*sinh(2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is simple by guessing and checking with the chain rule:
∫cosh2(x)sinh(x)dx = 1/3*cosh3(x)

But then I try to manipulate the expression in the integral I get a different result:
cosh2(x)sinh(x) = cosh(x)cosh(x)sinh(x) = cosh(x)*(1/2)*sinh(2x) = (ex+e-x)/2*(1/2)*(e2x-e-2x)/2 = (1/4)*((e3x-e-3x)/2+(ex-e-x)/2 = (1/4)*(sinh(3x)+sinh(x))
Integrating that gives (1/4)*∫(sinh(3x)+sinh(x))dx = (1/4)*(∫sinh(3x)dx+∫sinh(x)dx) = (1/4)*((cosh(3x)/3)+cosh(x))
I'm not sure how to directly compare the two results, but plugging in some number for x and solving each shows that they aren't equal. I'm quite sure the first solution is correct, so where did I go wrong in the second?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can plug in numbers in between and see where it goes wrong.
Do they differ by a constant only?

desquee said:
Solving this the simple way I got the right solution, but I also tried to solve it a different way and got it wrong. I want to know where I went wrong the second way.

1. Homework Statement

∫cosh2(x)sinh(x)dx = ?

Homework Equations

cosh(x)sinh(x) = (1/2)*sinh(2x)

The solution is simple by guessing and checking with the chain rule:
∫cosh2(x)sinh(x)dx = 1/3*cosh3(x)

But then I try to manipulate the expression in the integral I get a different result:
cosh2(x)sinh(x) = cosh(x)cosh(x)sinh(x) = cosh(x)*(1/2)*sinh(2x) = (ex+e-x)/2*(1/2)*(e2x-e-2x)/2 = (1/4)*((e3x-e-3x)/2+(ex-e-x)/2 = (1/4)*(sinh(3x)+sinh(x))
Integrating that gives (1/4)*∫(sinh(3x)+sinh(x))dx = (1/4)*(∫sinh(3x)dx+∫sinh(x)dx) = (1/4)*((cosh(3x)/3)+cosh(x))
I'm not sure how to directly compare the two results, but plugging in some number for x and solving each shows that they aren't equal. I'm quite sure the first solution is correct, so where did I go wrong in the second?
I think they're the same.

You can expand each answer out in terms of exponential functions.

Easier than that, take the derivative of each and compare.

You're right Sammy, they are the same. I expanded each answer and got (1/24)*(e3x+e-3x+3ex+3e-x) for both. I must have made some input mistake when I plugged in a number for x.

Thanks!

Likes SammyS
desquee said:

The solution is simple by guessing and checking with the chain rule
A better strategy is to use an ordinary substitution: u = cosh(x), du = sinh(x)dx.

sinh x dx is d(what) ?

What is the integration of cosh^2(x)sinh(x)?

The integration of cosh^2(x)sinh(x) is given by (1/3)cosh^3(x) + C.

How do I solve the integral of cosh^2(x)sinh(x)?

To solve the integral of cosh^2(x)sinh(x), you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. Alternatively, you can use a trigonometric identity to rewrite cosh^2(x)sinh(x) as a polynomial and then integrate.

What is the best method to solve ∫cosh^2(x)sinh(x)dx?

The best method to solve ∫cosh^2(x)sinh(x)dx depends on your familiarity and comfort with different integration techniques. It is recommended to try different methods and see which one works best for you.

Is there a shortcut to solve ∫cosh^2(x)sinh(x)dx?

There is no specific shortcut to solve ∫cosh^2(x)sinh(x)dx. However, you can use certain trigonometric identities or integration by parts to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

What are some tips for solving ∫cosh^2(x)sinh(x)dx?

Some tips for solving ∫cosh^2(x)sinh(x)dx include using trigonometric identities, trying different integration techniques, and carefully checking your work for any mistakes. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different integration methods.