1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving cubic equations

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    Hi, I've been trying to solve this equation for hours no, hoping somebody here can help.
    I have the equation: -2m2w3 + 15Bmw2 - 27B2 = 0

where m, B are unknown constants and I'm trying to solve for w. Is there a general formula for solving cubic equations?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2
    Yes, there is. However, it is more complicated than the solution for a quadratic equation. You can look it up in a math handbook, or google it.

By the way, is your equation cubic? You show only powers [tex]w^2[/tex], but maybe you have a typo.

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3
    If you are trying to solve for w, all you need to do here is rearrange the terms no?

-2m2w2 + 15Bmw2 - 27B2 = 0

Add 27B2 to both sides

-2m2w2 + 15Bmw2 = 27B2

factor w2

w2 ( -2m2 + 15Bm) = 27B2

Divide by ( -2m2 + 15Bm) --- make sure it is not 0 you need to account for this.

w2 = 27B2 / (-2m2 + 15Bm)

Now take the square root of both sides...

5. Mar 30, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is there a typo somewhere? The topic title suggests you want to know how to solve a cubic equation, but the equation you gave is quadratic in w.

6. Mar 30, 2010 #5
    Sorry, yes indeed there was a typo, the first term should have been cubed rather than squared.:redface:

7. Mar 30, 2010 #6
    Yes, I figured that was what is was supposed to be. There is a well know formula and procedure to solve cubic equations.

8. Mar 30, 2010 #7
    Here are a few pages from my math handbook on cubic solutions.

Attached Files:

9. Mar 31, 2010 #8
    Thanks elect_eng.......the scan is quite hard to read but I think I got it......much appreciated.

10. Mar 31, 2010 #9
    Sorry about the poor resolution. I tried a higher resolution picture and it wouldn't upload. I'll try again tonight just to make sure that you have a good copy. I'll make two separate files - one for each page.

11. Apr 2, 2010 #10
    Sorry, I took longer than expected to post a better version. I don't know why I had trouble uploading PDFs because my files were smaller than the posted limit. To bypass this trouble, I just rewrote the method and generated my own PDF. This is not a bitmaped PDF, and is hence much smaller in size. It's now all on one page and this makes a nice handy reference sheet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook