Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving DEQ with dirac delta

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    Hi All,

so I'm trying to tackle this DEQ:

f''[x] = f[x] DiracDelta[x - a] - b,

with robin boundary conditions
    f'[0] == f[0], f'[c] == f[c]

where a,b, and c are constants.

If you're curious, I'm getting this because I'm trying to treat steady state in a 1D diffusion system where I have homogenous generation along the length (b, in 1/(length-time) units), f(x) is the population distribution, and I have a point scatterer at x=a consuming population at a rate proportional to the concentration there (f(x)). i.e.
    f=f(x,t)
    df/dt = D*(d^2/dx^2)f + b - f*DiracDelta(x-a) = 0

I tried to take a laplace transform approach but couldn't hack it, if someone has another idea on how to approach this I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2
    Properly I should title this more like

"diffusion-reaction DEQ with delta reaction term in steady state with homogenous generation"

4. Apr 21, 2013 #3
    Rynlee,
    can you see the geometrical meaning of your ODE in a small neighborhood of a? Do you understand why you have 4 BCs for a second order ODE?

5. Apr 21, 2013 #4
    don't I have 2 BCs in a second order DEQ?

If you stick with the original 2D problem I have 2BCs (those) and in the steady state assumption no longer need an initial conditions since I eliminate t, leaving me with the 2nd order DEQ and two robin BCs.

For a simpler problem Neumann BCs could be taken,
    f'[0] == 0, f'[c]==0
    But the difficulty remains.

6. Apr 21, 2013 #5
    You are right, I misinterpreted your statements. Hint: you have two problems, one before and one after a. Do you know how to handle them?

7. Apr 21, 2013 #6
    That's a good point, really this could be viewed as two coupled DEQs, one defined on [0,a] and the other defined on [a,c], each with a set of Robin BCs, with one of them shared (at a).

The two DEQs aren't independent though, since the BCs are Robin not Neumann. If we instead had
    f'[0]=f'[a]=f'[c]=0, then I could split this into two DEQs. Since that's not the case though, the distribution on each side of a effects the other side.

8. Apr 21, 2013 #7
    Rynlee, you got the point: do you know how to write the BCs in a? Hint: integrate the ODE in [a-delta,a+delta] and compute the limit when delta->0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook