Solving equation for I | Matt's Help Needed

• Thread starter mattaddis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about rearranging equations to find the sum of the deflection in a beam. The equations involve four formulas in series and the goal is to solve for I. CompuChip suggests factoring out I and Matt is able to successfully find the desired solution with this method.
mattaddis
Hello there,

I need some help rearranging a combination of equations and was wondering if someone could help? I am attempting to find the sum of the deflection in a beam, but to do so for the boundary conditions require a total of four formulas in series.

I need to solve the attached equation for I, which is common throughout.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Attachments

• equation.JPG
    equation.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 414
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but the only place I see ##I## is in the denominator of each summand.
So can't you just factor it out?
$$\sum \delta = \frac{1}{24 E I} \left\{ \vphantom{\frac{W_1}{E I}} \cdots \right\}$$

Likes 1 person
CompuChip,

Thanks for that. I feel a bit thick now. It worked and I got the desired solution.

Matt

No problem, we all make those mistakes.
I was just afraid that you were going to say "Oh, I forgot to mention that the I1,2,3 are the components of I", or "W depends on I" or something nasty like that :)

Hi Matt,

It would be helpful if you could provide the specific equations and boundary conditions you are working with. Without that information, it is difficult to provide a specific solution. However, in general, to solve for I in a series of equations, you can use substitution or elimination methods. If you are still having trouble, I suggest seeking help from a tutor or consulting a textbook on solving systems of equations. Good luck!

Best,

1. How do I solve an equation for I?

To solve an equation for I, you need to isolate the variable I on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to move terms around. The goal is to get I by itself on one side of the equation, with all other terms on the other side.

2. What are the steps to solve an equation for I?

The general steps for solving an equation for I are:

1. Start by distributing any parentheses or simplifying fractions if necessary.
  2. Combine like terms on both sides of the equation.
  3. Use algebraic operations to move any terms with I to one side of the equation.
  4. If there are any constants on the same side as I, move them to the other side of the equation.
  5. Divide both sides by the coefficient of I to isolate the variable.
  6. Check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. Can I solve an equation for I using a calculator?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve equations for I. Most scientific calculators have the ability to solve equations, and there are also online equation solvers available. However, it is important to understand the steps and principles behind solving equations manually in order to accurately use a calculator.

4. Are there any special rules for solving equations for I?

The same rules that apply to solving equations in general also apply to solving for I. However, it is important to remember to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain balance. For example, if you add 3 to one side of the equation, you must also add 3 to the other side.

5. Can I use substitution to solve an equation for I?

Yes, substitution can be used to solve equations for I. This method involves solving for one variable in terms of another and then substituting that value into the equation to solve for I. However, this method can be more complicated and is typically used for systems of equations rather than single-variable equations.