Solving Equations: 2 Equations, 1 Unknown Variable

In summary, the conversation is about solving two equations for a calculus problem. One equation allows for finding y in terms of x and the other allows for finding x2 in terms of y. The conversation also mentions using substitution to make the equations easier to solve.
khatche4
I am given 2 equations (for a calculus problem)...
y(x2 +4)=5 and x2 +y2 -2y=0.
I know how to solve for y in terms of x for the first equation, but I am seriously stumped on how to get passed:
y2 -2y=-x2

Physics news on Phys.org
We do not see yet how the calculus aspects will be involved, but only your two equations which you wish to solve. The first equation will permit you to find y in terms of x. The second equation will allow you to find x2 in terms of y. One of these will allow you to perform a substitution which will yield an equation more easily managed and solved.

note that you seem to almost have the right idea with your line at the botton of your post. When you rectify that, you will have something to substitute.

Last edited:
solving for y in the second equation is not difficult. Ever solved quadratic equations? do you know any formula to solve a quadratic in y?? (x is constant)

or... add one to both sides.. do u see anything familiar?

1. What is the purpose of solving equations?

The purpose of solving equations is to find the value of the unknown variable in order to solve a problem or equation. It allows us to find solutions to real-world problems and make predictions based on mathematical relationships.

2. How do you solve an equation with 2 equations and 1 unknown variable?

To solve an equation with 2 equations and 1 unknown variable, you can use the method of substitution or elimination. In substitution, you substitute the value of one variable from one equation into the other equation, and then solve for the remaining variable. In elimination, you eliminate one variable by adding or subtracting the two equations, and then solve for the remaining variable.

3. What are the steps for solving an equation with 2 equations and 1 unknown variable?

The steps for solving an equation with 2 equations and 1 unknown variable are:

1. Identify the unknown variable in each equation.
  2. Choose a method (substitution or elimination) to solve the equations.
  3. Use the chosen method to solve for the unknown variable.
  4. Check your solution by substituting the value of the unknown variable into both equations.

4. What should I do if I get a contradictory or impossible solution when solving an equation with 2 equations and 1 unknown variable?

If you get a contradictory or impossible solution when solving an equation with 2 equations and 1 unknown variable, it means that the two equations do not have a common solution. This could be due to a mistake in your calculations or the equations themselves may not be compatible. Check your work and make sure you are using the correct method to solve the equations. If the equations are not compatible, there may not be a solution to the problem.

5. Can I use the same method to solve any equation with 2 equations and 1 unknown variable?

Yes, you can use the same method (substitution or elimination) to solve any equation with 2 equations and 1 unknown variable. However, depending on the equations, one method may be more efficient or easier to use than the other. It is important to choose the best method for each set of equations to solve them accurately and efficiently.