Solving Equations Homework: Question 4(c) Part I & II

In summary, the student is trying to find a solution to an equation involving square roots, but is having difficulty because of the laws involved. She is correct in stating that for any x except 1, the left-hand side will always give a complex answer.
halvizo1031

Homework Statement

I am having trouble with question 4(c)... part i and ii...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

would it be okay for her to write iff between each line? I do not see why not but I cannot find the proper reasoning.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're correct. In her attempt in part (i), it is ok to write iff in every line. Can you argue for each line why it is allowed?

the only reason i can think of is that she's not really changing the orginal equation. she is only simplying it.

Yes! If I were your instructor, that would certainly be a good answer. But I don't really know what they want to hear. You could also mention the laws involved: for example, you could say that in the first line, she used distributivity, etc.

Anyway, what do you think of the second part?

well my thinking for part ii is that since (x-3) is always smaller than (x), then we would have a small number minus a big number which would give us a negative solution...thus, since the equation is equalled to 5, there must be no solution.

Yes, but it would be nice to elaborate a bit.

For example, [tex]x-3\leq x[/tex], implies that [tex]\sqrt{x-3}\leq \sqrt{x}[/tex]. thus [tex]\sqrt{x-3}-\sqrt{x}\leq 0[/tex], which implies that the left-hand side can never equal 5.

i see...then, may I use the same reasoning for part (d)?

Can you explain your reasoning?? As the question states, you will not be able to use the exact same reasoning here!

i need some time to think about the reasoning here...i'm not quite sure i see it.

remember that a square root is only defined if the argument is positive...

thus, sqrt of 1-x will always give us a complex answer?

Not necessarily, since x could be 0 for example, then [tex]\sqrt{1-x}=1[/tex]. But I like your way of thinking...

i'm not quite sure what it is the question is looking for ...

it seems to me that stating that the equation will give a complex answer when x>1

halvizo1031 said:
it seems to me that stating that the equation will give a complex answer when x>1

Yes, when x>1, then sqrt(1-x) is not a real number. Now, what about your other term, sqrt(x-1)? What is that when x<1?

if x < 1 then i will also get a complex solution here...therefore, i will always have a complex solution to the equation for any value of x except 0?

Indeed, so can the left-hand side ever equal 1?

My only concern is that in the third line she uses:

[tex]
\sqrt{a^{2}}=a
[/tex]
and not:

[tex]
\sqrt{a^{2}}=\pm a
[/tex]

But he simply does [tex]\sqrt{4}=2[/tex], which is certainly correct? The square root is always a positive number...

Perhaps, but I was a little unsure about that. I don't know what the conventions they're using.

The usual convention in mathematics is that this sign: [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex] is used to define the positive square root of a number.

the way i see it is that for any value i plug in for x (except 1), the left hand side will always give me a complex answer which does not equal 1.

halvizo1031 said:
the way i see it is that for any value i plug in for x (except 1), the left hand side will always give me a complex answer which does not equal 1.

Yes, so the only possible solution is 1, which can be easily checked.

hold on, if i plug in 1 for x, wouldn't i get 0 = 1?

halvizo1031 said:
hold on, if i plus in 1 for x, wouldn't i get 0 = 1?

And because that's not true, you've proven that it cannot be true for x<1, x>1, or x=1. Congrats!

thanks! i appreciate everyone's help.

1. How do I determine the variables in this equation?

To determine the variables in an equation, you need to look for letters or symbols that represent unknown quantities. These are typically represented by letters such as x, y, or z. Once you have identified the variables, you can then use mathematical operations to manipulate the equation and solve for their values.

2. What does it mean to "simplify" an equation?

Simplifying an equation means to reduce it to its most basic form by combining like terms and eliminating any unnecessary parentheses or symbols. This makes the equation easier to solve and understand.

3. How do I know if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the values you found for the variables back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your solution is correct.

4. What is the order of operations when solving equations?

The order of operations, also known as PEMDAS, is a set of rules to follow when solving equations. It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). It is important to follow this order to get the correct solution.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve equations?

In most cases, you can use a calculator to help solve equations. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving equations, rather than relying solely on a calculator. Additionally, some equations may require manual manipulation and cannot be solved using a calculator.