1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Equilibrium Constant

1. Jun 9, 2013 #1

Air

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    With the 5 equations, the equilibrium contants can be calculated at the bottom. (See image)
    P1.jpg

My complication
    I am aware that [itex]X = 200[/itex] thus that value remains at that. Also, From the fourth equation [itex]K_{out}[/itex] = [itex]Cl_{out}[/itex]. But, I cannot seem to work out the values. If not simple algebra, what am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Won't hurt if you would explain what is the question that you are solving, at the moment you just posted a bunch of equations describing some undefined system.

4. Jun 9, 2013 #3

Air

P12.jpg

From this, finding the concentrations at equilibrium.

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4

Air

I understand how the equations are set up but I can't seem to solve the maths to get the equilibrium constants. Is there something I am missing? Like I said, I am aware that [itex]X = 200[/itex] thus that value remains at that. Also, From the fourth equation [itex]K_{out}[/itex] = [itex]Cl_{out}[/itex].

6. Jun 9, 2013 #5

Borek

Simple algebra.

My bet is your problem is related to the fact you have too many equations - they are not all independent, which makes you getting 0=0 type result.

7. Jun 9, 2013 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By equilibrium constants are we to guess that the protein forms complexes we might call XCl- and XCl2 in non-coperative fashion so it is characterised by a single equilibrium constant which it is required to calculate from the data?

I think you had better cite the entire question.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  8. Jun 10, 2013 #7

Air

The whole question is posted in post number 3. https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4410136&postcount=3

9. Jun 10, 2013 #8

Borek

You do realize there is no problem with solving the question using your approach and the simple algebra, it is just a matter of ignoring superfluous information?

10. Jun 10, 2013 #9

Air

When I substitute into each other, they all just cancel out to 0=0.

11. Jun 10, 2013 #10

Borek

Which is exactly what I wrote in the post #5 - have you read it? That's because the linear equations are not independent. Ignore one of the linear ones and you will get the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted