1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Euler's equation

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    How do I solve the following Euler's equation:

[tex]r^2 B_n'' + r B_n' - n^2 B_n = 3 \delta_{n1} r^2[/tex]

Such that the solution is:

[tex]B_n(r) = \beta_n r^n + \delta_{n1}r^2, \forall n \ge 1[/tex]

where βn is a free coefficient, δ is the Kronecker delta function, and the solutions unbounded at r=0 are discarded.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You try to solve the differential equation for different values of n. n=1 is obviously different from all other n. The trick for an equation in this form is to use a trial function of the form ##B_n(r)=Cr^k## and solve for k.

4. Dec 7, 2013 #3
    Is the [itex]\delta_{n1}r^2[/itex] obtained in the solution by linearity? And why is the coefficient '3' not in front?

5. Dec 7, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you are asking. The case n=1 is different from the other values of n because then the right side is 3r^2. If n is not 1 then the right side is 0. That's what the Kronecker delta does. They are two different cases. Solve them separately.

6. Dec 7, 2013 #5
    I've followed your steps, but when I'm solving the case for n = 1, I get [itex]B_{1} = \beta_{1}r + r^{2}[/itex]. Shouldn't it only be [itex]r^{2}[/itex]?

7. Dec 7, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it should. You have to put ##\beta_{1}=0## in that case. The problem statement is sloppy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted