Solving exponential equations using logarithms

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with solving exponential equations using logarithms. They provide two equations and a solution for one of them, but are unsure if they did it correctly. The conversation also touches on the use of logarithms, clarifying the base, and the level of the course. They discuss the use of natural logarithms in calculus and suggest using a numerical method for solving an equation with an unknown in both an exponent and not. It is determined that the conversation should have been under the "General Math" or "Homework" section.
Kate
Hi, I have a couple of problems that involve solving exponential equations using logarithms. One of them I got an answer but I'm not positive whether I did it right, and one of them I have no idea...

3^(4logx)= 5
(4logx)log3=log5
logx=log5/4log3
logx=.698/1.91
logx=.365
10^.365=x
x=2.32
did I do it right?
and then...

5(1.044)^t=t+10
I've gotten this, again, not sure if I'm on the right track...
t-logt=15.89
and even if that is right, where do I go from there?
Oh man...
:frown:
-Kate

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why is this in the calculus section? It doesn't have anything to do with calculus.

3^(4logx)= 5
(4logx)log3=log5
logx=log5/4log3
logx=.698/1.91
logx=.365
10^.365=x
x=2.32
"log" means logarithm base 10, I take it? It would have been a good idea to say so at the start.

Yes, if 3^(4log(x))= 5, then 4log(x) log(3)= log(5) so
log(x)= log(5)/(4log(3)). I get 0.366 to three decimal places. If you are using a calculator, try not to round off until the end.
Yes, x= 2.32.

There is no elementary way to solve an equation that has the unknown both as an exponent and not. You might try "Lambert's W function" which is defined as the inverse of the function xe<sup>x</sup> but I suspect that is more advance than you want to use. If you really must solve such an equation, try a numerical method such as Newton's method.

"Why is this in the calculus section? It doesn't have anything to do with calculus."
I didn't realize that wasn't calculus. What should it have been under?

"log" means logarithm base 10, I take it? It would have been a good idea to say so at the start."
And I'm sorry you were confused about the log base10 issue. My math analysis teacher said that when you wrote "log" it was assumed that it was base 10.
Anyway thank you very much.
-Kate

PS

Oh and also, I forgot to post this part,
we just learned how to do that second equation in class, as you said there is no simple way to solve it algebraically so you have to graph the two equations and find their intersection.

"Calculus" is limits, derivatives, integrals and such. This problem might have come up in a Calculus class as an introduction to something later.

I would like to have a discussion with your "math analysis" teacher! Yes, in elementary mathematics, log commonly means the "common" logarithm (base 10) but in mathematics at the calculus or higher level, log almost always means "natural" logarithm.
I may have mistook the level of the course from the fact that you put it in the calculus section.

Oh, and I meant to say, it probably should have been under "General Math"- or, even better, the "Homework" section.

i think general math section? but yeah, that gu7y is right, in calculus they use "e" and ln or natural log more often, however, the derivative of log is seen quite often...

Ok, thanks
:smile:

1. How do you solve an exponential equation using logarithms?

To solve an exponential equation using logarithms, you need to take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. This allows you to bring the exponent down as a coefficient and solve for the variable.

2. Can you explain the properties of logarithms that are used in solving exponential equations?

There are three main properties of logarithms that are used in solving exponential equations: the product rule, the quotient rule, and the power rule. The product rule states that the log of a product is equal to the sum of the logs of the individual factors. The quotient rule states that the log of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logs of the individual terms. And the power rule states that the log of a number raised to a power is equal to the exponent times the log of the number.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving exponential equations using logarithms?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving exponential equations using logarithms include: not taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation, not using the correct base for the logarithm, and forgetting to simplify or solve for the variable after taking the logarithm of both sides.

4. How do you know if your solution to an exponential equation using logarithms is correct?

To check if your solution to an exponential equation using logarithms is correct, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can use a calculator to evaluate both sides of the equation and see if they are equal.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving exponential equations without using logarithms?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving exponential equations without using logarithms such as using the properties of exponents, graphing, or trial and error. However, logarithms are often the most efficient and accurate method for solving exponential equations.