Solving Flip It: How Can I Solve the Game Using Mathematical Equations?

• Thread starter TylerH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of formulating the game Flip It into mathematical terms and solving for the solution matrix using a system of equations. A matrix representing the original pattern and one representing the desired solution are defined, and the solution matrix is determined by a specific equality. The conversation then poses a question on how to solve for all values of x and y within a given range.
TylerH
Solving Flip It, the Game

I've formulated the game Flip It(http://www.coolmath-games.com/0-flipit/index.html) into mathematical terms and a system of equations that solve for the solution matrix(the matrix of how many times each square must be clicked to solve from a given beginning.

Let [itex]A_{5,5}[/itex] be a matrix over the integers modulus 2 that represents the original pattern with 1 being white and 0 being black.

Let [itex]M_{5,5}[/itex] be a matrix over the integers modulus 2 that represents the matrix we want (to solve, this would be all 1's).

Let [itex]B_{5,5}[/itex] be the solution matrix, the number of times each square must be clicked, be defined by the equality [itex]m_{x,y}=b_{x,y} a_{x,y}+b_{x+1,y} a_{x+1,y}+b_{x,y+1} a_{x,y+1}+b_{x-1,y} a_{x-1,y}+b_{x,y-1} a_{x,y-1}[/itex].

How do I solve [itex]m_{x,y} \equiv b_{x,y} a_{x,y}+b_{x+1,y} a_{x+1,y}+b_{x,y+1} a_{x,y+1}+b_{x-1,y} a_{x-1,y}+b_{x,y-1} a_{x,y-1} \: mod \: 2[/itex] for all x,y in [1,5] (intersected with the integers, of course)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TylerH said:
I've formulated the game Flip It(http://www.coolmath-games.com/0-flipit/index.html) into mathematical terms and a system of equations that solve for the solution matrix(the matrix of how many times each square must be clicked to solve from a given beginning.

Let [itex]A_{5,5}[/itex] be a matrix over the integers modulus 2 that represents the original pattern with 1 being white and 0 being black.

Let [itex]M_{5,5}[/itex] be a matrix over the integers modulus 2 that represents the matrix we want (to solve, this would be all 1's).

Let [itex]B_{5,5}[/itex] be the solution matrix, the number of times each square must be clicked, be defined by the equality [itex]m_{x,y}=b_{x,y} a_{x,y}+b_{x+1,y} a_{x+1,y}+b_{x,y+1} a_{x,y+1}+b_{x-1,y} a_{x-1,y}+b_{x,y-1} a_{x,y-1}[/itex].

How do I solve [itex]m_{x,y} \equiv b_{x,y} a_{x,y}+b_{x+1,y} a_{x+1,y}+b_{x,y+1} a_{x,y+1}+b_{x-1,y} a_{x-1,y}+b_{x,y-1} a_{x,y-1} \: mod \: 2[/itex] for all x,y in [1,5] (intersected with the integers, of course)?

I screwed up; both of those equivalences should be: [itex]m_{x,y} \equiv b_{x,y}+a_{x,y}+b_{x+1,y}+a_{x+1,y}+b_{x,y+1}+a_{x,y+1}+b_{x-1,y}+a_{x-1,y}+b_{x,y-1}+a_{x,y-1} \: mod \: 2[/itex]

1. How do I solve Flip It?

To solve Flip It, you need to flip all of the tiles to the same color. This can be achieved by strategically flipping the tiles in a specific order. The key is to pay attention to the patterns and colors of the tiles and think ahead.

2. What is the best strategy for solving Flip It?

The best strategy for solving Flip It is to start by flipping the tiles on the edges first, then move towards the center. This will create a domino effect, making it easier to flip all of the tiles to the same color.

3. Is there a specific pattern to follow for solving Flip It?

There is no specific pattern that guarantees a win in Flip It. Each game is randomized, so you will need to adapt your strategy based on the current tile layout. However, starting with the edge tiles and working towards the center is a good general strategy to follow.

4. How many moves does it take to solve Flip It?

The number of moves it takes to solve Flip It can vary depending on the initial tile layout and the strategy used. On average, it takes between 10-20 moves to solve the game, but it can also be solved in as little as 5 moves.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving Flip It?

One helpful tip for solving Flip It is to pay attention to the colors of the tiles and try to create a pattern or symmetry. Also, don't be afraid to experiment with different strategies and see what works best for you. Practice and patience are key to solving this game.