Solving for a derivative of an integral

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function, f, and a value, a, such that 2 times the integral from a to x of f(t)dt = 2sinx - 1. The first step involves dividing by 2 and taking the derivative of each side, resulting in f(x) - f(a) = cos x. After some discussion and a mistake being pointed out, it is clarified that F(a) would not be differentiated to f(a) and that the factor of 1/2 in the original equation should also be taken into account. The second fundamental theorem of calculus is mentioned and used to explain the relationship between derivatives and integrals. The conversation concludes with a worked solution provided in an attached
dnt
the question is find a function, f, and a value, a, such that:

2 times the integral from a to x of f(t)dt = 2sinx - 1

(sorry i don't know how to make it look nice)

well the first thing i did was divide by 2, then take the derivative of each side:

f(x) - f(a) = cos x

and now I am stuck. am i correct so far? where do i go from here? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a mistake.
If you took the derivative of both sides dx, why would F(a) be differentiated to f(a)? Wouldn't it be 0?

dnt said:
the question is find a function, f, and a value, a, such that:

2 times the integral from a to x of f(t)dt = 2sinx - 1

(sorry i don't know how to make it look nice)

well the first thing i did was divide by 2, then take the derivative of each side:

f(x) - f(a) = cos x

and now I am stuck. am i correct so far? where do i go from here? thanks.

Why did you divide by 2, and what happened to that factor of 2 when you took the derivative? You also might want to recheck your work taking the derivative, do remember what the second fundamental theorem of calculus says?

Pseudo Statistic said:
You made a mistake.
If you took the derivative of both sides dx, why would F(a) be differentiated to f(a)? Wouldn't it be 0?

i thought it would be the derivative of f at a (whatever value that may be...i don't know because i don't know what a is)

d_leet said:
Why did you divide by 2, and what happened to that factor of 2 when you took the derivative? You also might want to recheck your work taking the derivative, do remember what the second fundamental theorem of calculus says?

i thought i should divide by 2 just to get rid of it. on the right side it becomes sin x - 1/2. after i take the derivative of that i get cos x.

dnt said:
i thought i should divide by 2 just to get rid of it. on the right side it becomes sin x - 1/2. after i take the derivative of that i get cos x.

Yes, but what you do to one side of the equation you must do to the other side as well and so I asked what happened to the factor of 1/2 that would have been multiplying the integral?

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{a}^{x} f(x) dx\ = \ f(x) [/tex]

That is very basically what the second fundamental theorem of calculus says and is what you need to use in this problem.

dnt said:
i thought it would be the derivative of f at a (whatever value that may be...i don't know because i don't know what a is)
Nope.
Think about it this way...
A definite integral yields a numerical answer... UNLESS one of the limits of integration is a variable that you're dealing with-- could be x OR a.
In this case, you have taken the derivative of both sides with respect to x-- thus treating x as the variable, not a...
In any case, F(a) does not have anything to do with x... differentiating it just kills it; thus, it disppears...

i guess i don't get how you take the derivative of an integral. the integral from say, a to x, is the area under the curve, right? what does the derivative of an area mean?

Well, according to the fundamental theorem of calculus, derivative and integrals are opposites..
Say you have a function f..
Take the integral, you have a function F.
Differentiate F, you get f again!
That's it, really...

Pseudo Statistic said:
Well, according to the fundamental theorem of calculus, derivative and integrals are opposites..
Say you have a function f..
Take the integral, you have a function F.
Differentiate F, you get f again!
That's it, really...

right, so then when i take the derivative of the integral from a to x of f(t) dt, shouldn't it just be f(x) - f(a)?

and i still don't get how I am suppose to take the derivative of a function when i don't even know what it is.

FTC has always been a very tough topic for me to comprehend. still trying to understand all of this.

dnt said:
right, so then when i take the derivative of the integral from a to x of f(t) dt, shouldn't it just be f(x) - f(a)?

If we define the integral of f(x) to be F(x) then if we take the integral from a to x we get F(x) - F(a), but when we differentiate with respect to x we treat a as a constant so the derivative of that integral will be F'(x) which is equal to f(x) because of how we defined F(x), F(a) will just be some consatnt that when we differentiate just disappears since it will be zero. Take a look at my previous post for a rather informal statement of the second fundamental theorem of calculus.

A worked solution

The attached document has a worked solution to your problem. The fundamental theorem of calculus makes more sense if you think of integrals as anti-derivatives, as they were first taught to me.

Attachments

• Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 324

1. What is the purpose of solving for a derivative of an integral?

The purpose of solving for a derivative of an integral is to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. This can be helpful in understanding the behavior of a function and making predictions about its future values.

2. How is the derivative of an integral calculated?

The derivative of an integral is calculated using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the integrand evaluated at the upper bound of the integral.

3. Can the derivative of an integral be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an integral can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that specific point.

4. Are there any special cases when solving for a derivative of an integral?

Yes, there are some special cases when solving for a derivative of an integral. These include when the upper bound of the integral is a constant, when the integrand is a constant, and when the integrand is a power function.

5. How is finding the derivative of an integral useful in real-world applications?

Finding the derivative of an integral can be useful in various real-world applications such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can help in determining the velocity of an object, the rate of change of a stock price, or the slope of a curve in a structural design.