1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for a Matrix

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Skjermbilde_2012_03_08_kl_11_13_40_AM.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I'm oversimplifying this problem. Why can't I just write:

AX + B =CA
    X + A'B = C
    X = C - A'B

?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

does your notation mean [itex] A' = A^{-1}[/itex]?

... if so, you can't do what you propse because matrix multiplication does not necesarrily commute. ionce you fix that, you're not far off the answer

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    Yes, that's what I intended my notation to convey.

Do I have to write:

AX + B = CA
    AX = CA - B
    A'(AX) = A'(CA - B)
    IX = A'CA - A'B
    X = A'CA - A'B

?

5. Mar 10, 2012 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

that looks better

6. Mar 11, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The notation A' is sometimes used to mean the transpose of matrix A. For inverses, I don't think I've ever seen ' used to indicate the inverse.

It's just as easy to write an exponent of -1 as an exponent of 2 or 3, and the intent is much clearer.

At the bottom of the input pane, click the Go Advanced button. This opens a menu of icons at the top of the input pane. The X2 button lets you write exponents, which it does by inserting [ sup ] and [ /sup ] tags (without the spaces).

You can also do this manually, like so: A[noparse]-1[/noparse]. I have inserted some other tags so that you could see the sup tags. Without those other tags, what I wrote renders like this: A-1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook