Solving for a variable when the square root of a formula is in the denominator

In summary, Homework Equations asks for the square root of x, and when you square both sides, you get d/sqrt(d^2+h^2). After factoring out x^2, you should be able to isolate d.
skibum143

Homework Statement

solve for x:

[ x / sqrt(x^2 + h^2) ] = [ d / sqrt(d^2 + h^2) ]

I need to solve for x.

Homework Equations

sq rt * sq rt = what is inside the square root
square both sides of an equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone help me remember how to get rid of the sqrt of x on the bottom of the left hand side? If I multiply by the sq rt of the ( ) I will have to do it on the other side, so I will still have the sq rt.

If I square both sides of the equation, I think that I would get: x^2 / (x^2 + h^2) = d^2 / (d^2 + h^2) Is that right? If so, I don't know where to go from there to solve for x?

Physics news on Phys.org
skibum143 said:

Homework Statement

solve for x:

[ x / sqrt(x^2 + h^2) ] = [ d / sqrt(d^2 + h^2) ]

I need to solve for x.

Homework Equations

sq rt * sq rt = what is inside the square root
square both sides of an equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone help me remember how to get rid of the sqrt of x on the bottom of the left hand side? If I multiply by the sq rt of the ( ) I will have to do it on the other side, so I will still have the sq rt.

If I square both sides of the equation, I think that I would get: x^2 / (x^2 + h^2) = d^2 / (d^2 + h^2) Is that right? If so, I don't know where to go from there to solve for x?

Now. cross multiply

when I do that, I get x = d...

I got two solutions, one of which turned out to be extraneous. Did you get two solutions before deciding to discard one of them?

I'm so sorry - I forgot the n in the right side of the equation, it should read like this:n * [ x / sqrt(x^2 + h^2) ] = [ d / sqrt(d^2 + h^2) ]

when I solved this, I got x = d/n

But i only got that one equation...

You're showing n on the left side of the equation.

I don't get x = d/n at all. When you square both sides of your equation what do you get?

I get
(n^2*x^2) / (x^2 + h^2) = d^2 / (d^2 + h^2) ]

Now multiply both sides by (x^2 + h^2)(d^2 + h^2). After doing that, move terms around so that all the terms with x in them are on one side, and all the rest are on the other side. You should be able to factor x^2 out as a preliminary step to isolating it.

What is the process for solving for a variable when the square root of a formula is in the denominator?

To solve for a variable when the square root of a formula is in the denominator, you will need to first isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Then, you can use the inverse operation of taking the square root to remove it from the denominator. This will involve squaring both sides of the equation. Finally, you can solve for the variable as usual.

Can I simplify the square root in the denominator before solving for the variable?

Yes, it is often helpful to simplify the square root in the denominator first. This can involve factoring the number inside the square root or finding perfect square factors. Simplifying can make the equation easier to work with and reduce the number of steps needed to solve for the variable.

What happens if there is a variable inside the square root in the denominator?

If there is a variable inside the square root in the denominator, you will need to isolate that variable and then use the inverse operation of taking the square root to remove it from the denominator. This may involve squaring both sides of the equation multiple times.

Are there any common mistakes when solving for a variable with the square root in the denominator?

Yes, one common mistake is forgetting to square both sides of the equation after removing the square root from the denominator. Another mistake is forgetting to consider the possibility of extraneous solutions, which can occur when taking the square root of both sides.

Is it possible to have a negative value for the variable when solving for a variable with the square root in the denominator?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative value for the variable when solving for a variable with the square root in the denominator. This can happen if the original equation contains a negative number under the square root, or if a negative solution arises during the solving process. In these cases, it is important to check for extraneous solutions and discard them if necessary.