What is the acceleration of a car on a semicircular track?

In summary, the car gains a velocity of 285 km/h as a result of the acceleration. The equations that are given in the book are used to calculate the various velocities and accelerations.
tjohn101

Homework Statement

A car at the Indianapolis-500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to 285 km/h in a semicircular arc with a radius of 194 m.

Determine the tangential acceleration of the car when it is halfway through the turn, assuming constant tangential acceleration.
m/s2

Determine the radial acceleration of the car at this time.
m/s2

If the curve were flat, what would the coefficient of static friction have to be between the tires and the roadbed to provide this acceleration with no slipping or skidding?

Homework Equations

Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

Have not attempted yet because I don't know how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without knowing relevant equations you cannot solve the problems.
If you are studying physics, you must have a textbook. If you don't have, search in Hyper Physics site. And go through the circular motion. Show your attempts.We will help you if you have made any mistakes.

rl.bhat said:
Without knowing relevant equations you cannot solve the problems.
If you are studying physics, you must have a textbook. If you don't have, search in Hyper Physics site. And go through the circular motion. Show your attempts.We will help you if you have made any mistakes.

The book gives me these, but I don't have enough information to use them nor do I know how to get that information.

Atan= [delta]V/[delta]t

and

Ar=v^2/r

I've tried them to death, but with no good answer. I don't know how to get time, so I don't know how to get acceleration.

If there is no tangential acceleration, v^2/r must be equal to g.
Find v1.
Actual velocity v2 is 285 km/h. Convert it into m/s.
v = v2 - v1 is the velocity gained by the tangential acceleration.
Using the formula v = rω,find the angular velocity ω.
Using the initial angular velocity zero, and final angular velocity ω and angular displacement π/2, find the angular acceleration α.
Using the relation a = r*αnd the tangential acceleration a.

rl.bhat said:
If there is no tangential acceleration, v^2/r must be equal to g.
Find v1.
Actual velocity v2 is 285 km/h. Convert it into m/s.
v = v2 - v1 is the velocity gained by the tangential acceleration.
Using the formula v = rω,find the angular velocity ω.
Using the initial angular velocity zero, and final angular velocity ω and angular displacement π/2, find the angular acceleration α.
Using the relation a = r*αnd the tangential acceleration a.

Okay. Could you help me find the answer? I've been cracking at this one for three days. Homework is due tonight, so if you could help me as much as possible that would be great. I'm working on another problem right now

I have given some hints. Workout them first. If you stuck up I will help you.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, it describes how quickly an object is speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (v2-v1) / (t2-t1), where a is acceleration, v2 and v1 are the final and initial velocities, and t2 and t1 are the final and initial times.

What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration depend on the units used for velocity and time. In the SI system, the unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²). In the imperial system, it is feet per second squared (ft/s²).

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated using the final and initial velocities and times, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using calculus.

How is acceleration related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the lower its acceleration will be for the same force.