Solving for Coordinate Angles in Statics Question

In summary, the problem involved determining the magnitude and coordinate direction angles of a resultant force acting at point A, given two known forces. The correct formula for calculating the angles was provided, and using the components and magnitude of the resultant vector, the angles were found to be α = 51.20 degrees, β = 8.43 degrees, and γ = 36.37 degrees.
RobertL
Edit: Nevermind, it has been resolved.

Homework Statement

I have been attempting to solve what seems like a relatively pedestrian statics questions, but for some reason my answer is being marked as incorrect. The problem is as follows:

Determine the magnitude and coordinate direction angles of the resultant force acting at A. Given that F_B = 640N and F_C = 450N.

http://imgur.com/U3dSG

Homework Equations

N/A (no specific equations needed)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the value of the resultant vector without any trouble by assigning point A as the origin and adding the components of the two original vectors. This gave me a value of 998.05=R. The resultant vector had the equation of 626.667i+13.33j+776.667k.

My attempt at solving for the coordinate angles ended in failure:

For example:
alpha=cos^-1(626.667/998.05)=51.1 degrees, which is incorrect.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SolutionYou were using the wrong formula to calculate the coordinate angles. The correct formula is: θ = cos-1(x/R) where x is the component of the vector in the direction of the angle you are trying to find and R is the magnitude of the resultant vector. Using this formula, you can calculate the other two angles. The magnitude of the resultant vector is R = 998.05N and the components are 626.667i + 13.33j + 776.667k. For alpha, x=626.667 and for beta, x=13.33. Therefore, α = cos-1(626.667/998.05) = 51.20 degrees β = cos-1(13.33/998.05) = 8.43 degrees

1. What is the purpose of solving for coordinate angles in statics?

The purpose of solving for coordinate angles in statics is to determine the orientation and direction of forces and moments acting on a body in a static equilibrium. This is important in analyzing and designing structures and machines to ensure they can withstand external forces without moving or collapsing.

2. How do you solve for coordinate angles in statics?

To solve for coordinate angles in statics, you need to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions help you calculate the angles of forces and moments relative to the x, y, and z axes of a coordinate system. You can also use vector analysis and the principles of equilibrium to solve for coordinate angles.

3. What are the common coordinate angles used in statics?

The most commonly used coordinate angles in statics are the x, y, and z angles, which represent the angles of forces and moments in the x, y, and z directions respectively. Other common angles used in statics include the pitch, roll, and yaw angles, which are used in aerospace engineering and other specialized applications.

4. Can you solve for coordinate angles in statics without using trigonometric functions?

No, it is not possible to solve for coordinate angles in statics without using trigonometric functions. These functions are essential in calculating the magnitude and direction of forces and moments in a coordinate system. However, there are alternative methods such as vector analysis and graphical methods that can be used to solve for coordinate angles without relying heavily on trigonometry.

5. How do you apply the concept of coordinate angles in real-world engineering problems?

In real-world engineering problems, coordinate angles are used to analyze and design structures and machines that can withstand external forces and moments. For example, in civil engineering, coordinate angles are used to calculate the forces on a bridge or building due to wind or seismic activity. In mechanical engineering, coordinate angles are used to design machines that can support and transmit forces and moments without failing.