How Can You Solve for Force in Member GI of a Truss?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving the force in member GI in a truss diagram. The suggested approach is to first find the external reaction forces at H and I, then use the method of joints starting at A and carefully considering plus and minus directions. It is mentioned that there may be rules or assumptions for truss analysis, and that the speaker was hoping to avoid going joint by joint.
canicon25
Can anyone suggest the method to use for solving for the force in member GI in the attached diagram? Is there a way to section the truss?

truss2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to first find the external reaction forces at H and I. There are normally some rules/assumptions about truss analysis. Do you know what they are? They must have been provided in class or the book.

There may be an easier way, but after solving reactions, use the method of joints, starting at A, and then grind out the forces, carefully watching plus and minus directions, joint by joint, until reaching the bottom...

yeah i forgot to mention that i can solve for the external forces okay. i was hoping i wasn't seeing a way to section it, hoping to avoid going join by join.

thanks community.

There are several methods that can be used to solve for the force in member GI in a truss. One approach is to use the method of joints, where the forces at each joint are calculated by considering the equilibrium of forces in both the horizontal and vertical directions. Another method is the method of sections, where a section of the truss is isolated and the forces acting on that section are calculated using the principles of equilibrium.

In order to solve for the force in member GI, it may be helpful to section the truss and focus on the section that includes member GI. This can simplify the problem and make it easier to apply the principles of equilibrium. However, it is important to ensure that the section chosen does not cut through more than three members, as this could lead to an indeterminate system.

Ultimately, the method used to solve for the force in member GI will depend on the specific characteristics of the truss and the desired level of accuracy. It may be helpful to consult with a structural engineer or utilize computer software to accurately determine the forces in the truss members.

What is a truss?

A truss is a structural system made up of interconnected triangular units that work together to distribute forces and provide stability. It is commonly used in construction and engineering to support roofs, bridges, and other structures.

How do you solve for forces in a truss?

To solve for forces in a truss, you can use the method of joints or the method of sections. In the method of joints, you analyze the forces acting at each joint in the truss. In the method of sections, you cut the truss into smaller sections and use the principles of equilibrium to solve for forces at specific points.

What are the different types of forces that act on a truss?

The main types of forces that act on a truss are tension, compression, and shear. Tension is a pulling force that elongates a member, while compression is a pushing force that shortens a member. Shear is a force that acts parallel to the surface of a member, causing it to slide or bend.

What are the assumptions made when solving for forces in a truss?

When solving for forces in a truss, it is assumed that the truss is a rigid body and that all joints are connected by frictionless pins. It is also assumed that the weight of the truss is negligible and that all external forces are applied at the joints.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for forces in a truss?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for forces in a truss include forgetting to include all external forces, applying the wrong sign convention, and neglecting the weight of the truss. It is also important to double-check calculations and ensure that all equations are balanced and consistent.