1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for Forces in a Truss

1. Jun 2, 2010 #1
    Can anyone suggest the method to use for solving for the force in member GI in the attached diagram? Is there a way to section the truss?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

It might help to first find the external reaction forces at H and I. There are normally some rules/assumptions about truss analysis. Do you know what they are? They must have been provided in class or the book.
  4. Jun 2, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There may be an easier way, but after solving reactions, use the method of joints, starting at A, and then grind out the forces, carefully watching plus and minus directions, joint by joint, until reaching the bottom....
  5. Jun 2, 2010 #4
    yeah i forgot to mention that i can solve for the external forces okay. i was hoping i wasn't seeing a way to section it, hoping to avoid going join by join.

thanks community.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook