Solving for Tension: A chandelier is suspended by two chains

• Thread starter ttpp1124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary: The sum of the horizontal components is T1 + T2, so T1 is greater. The sum of the vertical components is also T1 + T2, so T2 is greater.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
A 45 kg chandelier is suspended by two chains of lengths 5 m and 8 m attached to two points in the ceiling 11 m apart. Find the tension in the 5 m rope. Please include a neat diagram.
Relevant Equations
N/A
IMG_3378.jpg

I've begun by drawing out the diagram. Since they want the tension in the 5m rope, I've broken it down into two vectors. I want to use T = mg + ma, but I don't think that's right because I don't have acceleration. Is there another formula I can use instead? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ttpp1124 said:
Homework Statement:: A 45 kg chandelier is suspended by two chains of lengths 5 m and 8 m attached to two points in the ceiling 11 m apart. Find the tension in the 5 m rope. Please include a neat diagram.
Relevant Equations:: N/A

View attachment 258498

I've begun by drawing out the diagram. Since they want the tension in the 5m rope, I've broken it down into two vectors. I want to use T = mg + ma, but I don't think that's right because I don't have acceleration. Is there another formula I can use instead? Thanks!
Is the system accelerating?

kuruman said:
Is the system accelerating?
No. I should substitute acceleration with 0, correct?

Correct. What would Sir Isaac Newton have said when the acceleration is zero?

An object with an acceleration of 0 has no net force on it but there may be forces acting on it that cancel out.
Is T = mg my formula then?

ttpp1124 said:
An object with an acceleration of 0 has no net force on it but there may be forces acting on it that cancel out.
Is T = mg my formula then?
That's what Sir Isaac would have said. There are two tensions acting on the mass. Which one is T in your expression?

Well, the question is asking for the tension in the 5m rope. So, T=(45)(9.8). That would work for both the 5m and 8m rope. How do I change it such that the equation applies to the 5m rope?

ttpp1124 said:
Well, the question is asking for the tension in the 5m rope. So, T=(45)(9.8). That would work for both the 5m and 8m rope. How do I change it such that the equation applies to the 5m rope?
You didn't answer my question. There are two ropes which means that that there two tensions which are not the same. Call then T1 and T2. Which of these, if any, is equal to mg? You may have to review vector addition.

kuruman said:
You didn't answer my question. There are two ropes which means that that there two tensions which are not the same. Call then T1 and T2. Which of these, if any, is equal to mg? You may have to review vector addition.
Let T1 - 5
Let T2 - 8

T1 = mg

You can't "let" the tensions be what you want. Why not "let" T1 = 12 and T2 = 1? Unlike some people these days, you cannot make up your own reality. This is science, man! The length of each chain is relevant only in so far as the angle they make with resprect to the vertical. If the 5 m chain is lengthened to 8 m but attached farther up the ceiling so that the angle with the vertical is the same, the tension in it will not change. You have to find what the tensions are noting that each one can have only one value given the circumstances of the problem. Hint: The two tensions add as vectors. What is the sum of their horizontal components? What is the sum of their vertical components?

ttpp1124 said:
T = mg
Forces are vectors, i.e. they have magnitude and direction. You can only compare their magnitudes usefully if they are in parallel directions.
You need to consider components that are in the same or opposite directions.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object in opposite directions, causing it to stretch or deform.

2. How do you calculate tension in a chandelier's chains?

To calculate tension in a chandelier's chains, you will need to know the weight of the chandelier and the angle at which the chains are suspended. Then, you can use the formula T = (W/2) / sin(θ), where T is the tension, W is the weight, and θ is the angle.

3. Why is it important to solve for tension in a chandelier's chains?

Solving for tension in a chandelier's chains is important because it ensures that the chains are strong enough to support the weight of the chandelier. If the tension is too low, the chains may break and the chandelier could fall.

4. What factors can affect the tension in a chandelier's chains?

The tension in a chandelier's chains can be affected by the weight of the chandelier, the angle at which the chains are suspended, and the strength and material of the chains themselves.

5. Can tension be negative in a chandelier's chains?

Yes, tension can be negative in a chandelier's chains if the chains are being compressed instead of stretched. This can occur if the chandelier is too heavy for the chains or if the angle of suspension is too small.