1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for the value for t

1. Jul 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What value of t will make the function = 250?

N(t) = 500 / (1+9e^(-5t))
    250 = 500 / (1+9e^(-5t))

3. The attempt at a solution

1 + 9e^-5t = 2
    9e^-5t = 1
    t = log1/log(-5)(9e)
    t = 0

However t = 0 is incorrect because when it is subbed back into the original equation it does not result in 250. How do I solve for the correct value of t?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2013 #2
    Your solution is difficult to follow. Everything up to your second step checks out, but I can't understand how you went from the second equation to the third. The third equation also seems completely senseless. You can't take the natural logarithm of a negative number in the real number line.

If you show your full transition from the second step to the third, we might be able to help you better. But a wild guess from my head suggests that you are somehow misreading the second equation, so I will write it down nicely: [itex] 9e^{-5t} = 1[/itex]. Did that help?

4. Jul 9, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your are correct to this point:

9e^(-5t) = 1

You didn't apply logarithms correctly after this. Here is how to proceed correctly:

e^(-5t) = 1/9
    Mod note: Deleted the remainder of this post, as it was probably too much help.
    Now take the natural log of both sides:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted