1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for the X Intercepts

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch the graph of each function given using shifts and stretches of the parent function y=x2 (not by simply plotting points). Clearly indicate and explicitly state the orientation, vertex, axis of symmetry, y-intercept, and point symmetric to the y-intercept, the x-intercepts, and the maximum or minimum value of each function. Use these features to complete your graph.

f(x)=-x2-4x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My factoring(plz check):
    f(x)=-x2-4x
    f(x)=-(x2-4x+4)+4=0
    f(x)=-(x-2)2+4=0.
    Finding the x intercepts is the part I am stuck on.

The y intercept is obviously 0, so we have 0,0.
    I know that the other x intercept will be at 4 due to the similar proportion (I think) but I want to know how to find that.

We get -4=-(x-2)2
    +-SQRT(-4)=-x+2
    -x=-2+-SQRT(-4)
    X=2+-SQRT(-4)

That's a non real answer. Please someone check my math on solving for the x intercept. The rest of the problem I have done.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Here's a hint: look very, very, very, closely, at the signs inside parentheses going from the first row to the second in your work (duplicated below)

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    f(x) & = -x^2 - 4x \\
    f(x) & = - \left(x^2 - 4x + 4\right) + 4 = 0
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

Also, to be mathematically correct, you should hold off on the " = 0 " portion until you've finished re-writing [tex] f(x) [/tex]
    as you want to. After the re-writing, set the new form equal to zero and solve.

4. Jun 14, 2009 #3
    Got it, thanks! :) Answer my next thread please- lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook