1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for time and displacement

1. Jan 19, 2005 #1
    Ok, here's the problem that I am working on now.
    Sarah is walking at a speed of 1.5m/s when she accidentally slips on a patch of ice whose coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.060. If Sarah has a mass of 40.0 kg, how long before she comes to a stop on the ice?
    I'm stuck because I don't know which equation to use to solve for time or displacement. Each equation that I have has both variables in it. Also, where does the coefficient of kinetic friction factor into the equation. I solved for the normal force, and force of friction, but I still ended up in a dead end.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the equations you have:

F= ma: Force= mass*acceleration. You know Sarah's mass so you can calculate Sarah's weight so you can calculate the Force slowing Sarah down. From F= ma, you can calculate the acceleration. Apparently you have already done that: great!

v(t)= at+ v0
    velocity at time t, with initial velocity v0= 1.5 m/s.

x(t)= (a/2)t2+ v0t
    x(t) is the distance Sarah went in time t.

You're right: the second equation involves both x and t. But the first equation doesn't involve x. You know that Sarah's final speed is 0 ("she comes to a stop") so at+ 1.5= 0. You know a, so you can find t.

Now that you know t, use the second equation to calculate x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?