Solving for unknown tensions

• Thread starter Ry122
  • Start date
BCIn summary, the conversation is about determining the tension in chain AB and the compressive force in spreader bar BC, given the weight of the engine and angles B and C. It is possible to use a force triangle and set up equations to determine these forces. The compressive force in BC is calculated in the same way as the tension in AB. The direction of the x component of BC is away from the center of BC, and since it acts in both directions, it is only necessary to determine its magnitude. To find BC, one can divide the triangle into two right triangles and solve for BC/2, then multiply by 2. The equation 0=ABcos37-ACcos37+BC is incorrect
Ry122
http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/Q50.jpg
The weight of the engine is known and so are angles B and C.
I need to determine the tension in the chain AB and the compressive force acting in the spreader bar BC.

What I want to know is:

1. Is it possible to make a force triangle of the system to determine AB? If so how is this done?

2. Is it possible to set up an equation for the horizontal and vertical forces and have BA's x and y components as the variables?

3. Is the compressive force in BC determined in the same way that the tension force in AB is determined?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes to all of the above. However, (1) requires you to do (2) anyway.

Can someone please confirm whether the resultant divides the triangle into 2.
i have 2 reasons for this.
1. the force in the chain connected to the roof would have the same force as the resultant of the triangle and would be in the same direction.
2. the angles B and C are equal therefore they would be an equal distance from the resultant.
so if angle b and c are 40 degrees do 180-40x2 to determine angle A then divide angle A by 2 to get the angle of the resultant from B and C.

Last edited:
when resolving the x and y components of the acting forces do I need to take BD into consideration?

I have three variables and can't solve. what am i doing wrong?
0=ABsin40+ACsin40-4kN
0=ABcos37-ACcos37+BC
engine = 4kN

Ry122 said:
I have three variables and can't solve. what am i doing wrong?
0=ABsin40+ACsin40-4kN
0=ABcos37-ACcos37+BC
engine = 4kN
You're doing nothing wrong, however, It may be useful to note that,

[tex]AB\sin40 = AC\sin40[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]2\cdot AB\sin40 = 2\cdot AC\sin40 = 4 \;\left[kN\right][/tex]

What direction is the BC x component moving?

Ry122 said:
What direction is the BC x component moving?
BC exerts a force away from the centre of BC.

how do i determine if it is negative or positive?

Ry122 said:
how do i determine if it is negative or positive?
Since BC acts in both directions (left and right) it doesn't make sense to define a direction, a magnitude is all that is needed.

From my equation
0=ABcos37-ACcos37+BC
Bcos37 and ACcos37 would obviously cancel each other out. BC therefore makes this equation incorrect and BC can therefore not be found using this method can it?

Because the triangle is symmetrical can't i just divide it into two right triangles and solve for BC/2 then multiply by 2?

Consider the forces acting at B. You know that since the chain BD hangs vertically the sum of the horizontal components at B must be zero. That is,

[tex]|CB| = |AB\cos37|[/tex]

Similarly for point C.

could you explain it a bit further?
also can you confirm which of these is correct
1. 0=ABcos37-ACcos37+BC
2. 0=ABcos37-ACcos37

1. What is the definition of tension in physics?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or any other type of flexible connector. It is a pulling force that acts along the length of the object, and it is always directed away from the object's surface.

2. How do you calculate the unknown tension in a system of forces?

To solve for unknown tensions, you can use the equations of equilibrium to set up a system of equations. These equations relate the sum of all forces acting on an object in equilibrium to zero. By solving for the unknown tension using these equations, you can determine its magnitude and direction.

3. What factors affect the tension in a system?

The tension in a system is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied forces, as well as the properties of the object or material that is being pulled. For example, the stiffness and length of a rope will affect the tension in the rope when it is pulled on.

4. Can you use tension to solve for unknown forces in other directions?

Yes, by using the equations of equilibrium, you can solve for unknown forces in other directions. The tension in a string or cable can be used to create a force in any direction by changing the angle at which it is pulling.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving for unknown tensions?

Solving for unknown tensions is essential in many real-world applications, including building and construction, engineering, and physics. For example, engineers use tension calculations to design structures such as bridges and buildings, while physicists use it to understand the behavior of objects in motion or under different forces.