How Is the Work Function of Silver Determined from Cut-off Wavelength?

In summary: If you want the units to be joules, you don't.In summary, the wavelength associated with the cut-off frequency for silver is 325 nm. To find the work function for silver, the photon energy equation E = hf = hc/lambda = work function + KE_max is used. In part (a), the work function is the only unknown and can be solved by setting KE_max to zero and using the value of the cutoff frequency or wavelength. In part (b), the maximum kinetic energy and speed of the electrons are determined by changing the value of the wavelength. To convert the work function from joules to electron-volts, divide by 1.6 * 10^-19.
Jas014

Homework Statement

The wavelength associated with the cut-off frequency, for silver is 325 nm.

a) What is the work function for silver?
b) Find the maximum kinetic energy and speed of the electrons ejected from a silver surface by ultraviolet light of wavelength 254nm

Homework Equations

f= c/325nm

The Attempt at a Solution

f = c/3.25 * 10 ^ -7 = 9.23 * 10 ^ 14

9.23 * 10 ^14 = hc/325e - work function

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing the equations completely before you begin to substitute any numbers. The photon energy is: E = hf = hc/lambda = work function + KE_max. The work function is determined by setting KE_max to zero and using the value of your cutoff frequency or wavelength. For part (a), the work function is your only unknown. Once you get it, you can go to part (b) and change the value of the wavelength.

Last edited:
I went

lamda = hc / work function
workfuntion = hc/lamda = 6.626 * 10 ^-34 ( 3 * 10 ^8) / 3.25 * 10 ^ -7 = 6. 11 * 10 - 19

Now I am not sure if i take that number and multiply it by 1.6 * 10 ^ -19?

Jas014 said:
I went

lamda = hc / work function
workfuntion = hc/lamda = 6.626 * 10 ^-34 ( 3 * 10 ^8) / 3.25 * 10 ^ -7 = 6. 11 * 10 - 19 J

Now I am not sure if i take that number and multiply it by 1.6 * 10 ^ -19?

If you divide [itex]1.6 \times 10^{-19}[/itex] , the resulting number will be in eV. So if you want the units to electron-volts, you divide.

What is the work function in the context of solving for work function?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a material. It is typically measured in electron volts (eV) and is an important factor in understanding the behavior of electrons in a material.

Why is solving for work function important in scientific research?

Solving for work function is important because it helps us understand the electronic properties of different materials. This information is crucial in fields such as materials science, surface chemistry, and semiconductor technology. It also allows us to predict the behavior of electrons in different environments and to design new materials with specific properties.

How is the work function experimentally determined?

The work function can be determined experimentally through various methods, such as photoemission spectroscopy or Kelvin probe measurements. These techniques involve shining light or applying an electric field to the material and measuring the energy of the emitted electrons. The work function can then be calculated using the measured values.

What factors can affect the work function of a material?

The work function of a material can be affected by factors such as the material's chemical composition, crystal structure, and surface conditions. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and electric fields.

How can solving for work function be applied in real-world applications?

Solving for work function has many practical applications in various fields, including electronics, solar cells, and catalysis. Understanding the work function of different materials allows us to optimize their use in devices and processes, leading to advancements in technology and industry.