1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for Work

1. Oct 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On a farm, you are pushing on a stubborn pig with a constant horizontal force with magnitude 34.1 N and direction 37.0∘counterclockwise from the +x-axis.

a) How much work does this force do during a displacement of the pig that is s⃗ =(5.00m)ι^?

b) How much work does this force do during a displacement of the pig that is s⃗ =−(6.00m)j^?

c) How much work does this force do during a displacement of the pig that is s⃗ =−(2.00m)ι^+(4.00m)j^?

2. Relevant equations
    W = F*d

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew this out of the given problem but I'm not sure if it is right:
    boVBtZ2.jpg

With that drawing I solved for
    Fx = Nsin37.1 = 34.1sin37.1 = 20.7N
    Fy = Ncos37.1 = 34.1cos37.1 = 27.2 N
    Fr = 34.2 N

1.) At first i multiplied the resultant to 5m to get W but that didn't work. So I took the Fx = 20.7 and multiplied that to 5m but that didn't work either.

What to do?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem states that the direction of the force is 37.0° counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

Your sketch shows a force that's 37.1° clockwise from the positive y-axis.

That could cause an error .

4. Oct 1, 2016 #3
    Okay so it should be looking like this? :
    gDGvZZ1.jpg

5. Oct 1, 2016 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. The positive x-axis is horizontal and points to the right. Start there and go counterclockwise 37.1o.

6. Oct 1, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Further to kuruman's comment, please label the axes (+X, -X, +Y, -Y) to ensure no misunderstanding.

7. Oct 1, 2016 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is some of the difficulty here caused by the overwhelming use of digital clocks these days ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted