1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for x in this equation

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    I'm not sure it is the correct thread, but it did say Algebra homeworks could be posted here too right? :biggrin:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3bx - ab + 2a^2 = 2ax + 3b^2

solve for the x.

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

3bx - ab + 2a^2 = 2ax + 3b^2
    2a^2 - 3b^2 = 2ax - 3bx + ab
    2a^2 - 3b^2 = x(2a - 3b) + ab
    2a^2 - 3b^2 -ab = x(2a - 3b)

after which, I'm, stuck :confused:I don't know what to do anymore, nor do I know if I'm dog it right! my book says, the answer should be x=a+b. sadly, it doesn't give an explanation as to how it got the answer :cry:please help? I really need to pass my exam two days from now, and solution sets is a big part of it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could try writing the left hand side as (2a - 3b) ( ... ) and divide out (2a - 3b) (provided it is not zero).

4. Feb 8, 2010 #3
    First, put the terms with x on one side and the rest on the other side.Then, factor x out and divide both sides to have the x alone on one side.Finally,simplify.

5. Feb 8, 2010 #4
    I can understand your struggle when you have the answer but you dont know how they get there, anyway I have much simpler way to do it .. you reached to a good step .. so all what left is to perform a division.. I made a figure illustrating the idea .. just go with me step by step :

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9431/11291260.jpg [Broken]

as you can see it is just a long division but this time it is with two variables .. so how to do it?

well,

first : take a as your variable and anything else as constant (check the red colored writing) divide 2a with 2a^2 put the result up (which is a ) then multiply it with 2a - 3b and write it below 2a^2 - 3b^2-ab (each result below the one that looks similar to it)

second : take b as your variable and anything else as constant (check the blue colored writing) divide -3b with -3b^2 and put the result up (which is b) then multiply it with 2a - 3b and write the result below 2a^2 - 3b^2 -ab ( also put each result below the one that looks similar to it)

thired : change the sign of all the previous results (check the green colored writing) and add every thing , you will end up with zero with tells you that when you divide 2a^2 - 3b^2 -ab with 2a-3b that will give you a+b with no reminder ..

I hope now you got it :) .. and good luck with your test ..

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Feb 8, 2010 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can rewrite the left side as

2a^2-2b^2 -b^2-ab= 2(a^2-b^2)-b(b+a)=
    =2(a-b)(a+b)-b(a+b)= (a+b)(2a-2b-b)=(a+b)(2a-3b)

So the equation becomes: (a+b)(2a-3b)=x(2a-3b)

Divide both sides by 2a-3b (supposing it is not 0) the result is x=a+b.
    If 2a-3b=0 any x is solution.

ehild

7. Feb 8, 2010 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, the four of us have now provided you with the complete answer :)

8. Feb 14, 2010 #7
    ohmy :) thank you thank you thank you! I'm glad all of you have responded :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook