Solving For X on both sides

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
In summary, the student attempted to solve a radical equation, but failed. They ended up with a quadratic equation and needed to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve it.02 In summary, when solving quadratic equations, you can either factor and solve, or complete the square and use the solution to the quadratic equation.
Stratosphere

Homework Statement

A basic example is [tex]\sqrt{x-1}[/tex]=x-7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I end up with an x[tex]^{2}[/tex] and a normal x I don't know to to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us your work. You say you have and x2. ok, you should have an x2 term, now show us exactly what you have and how you got it.

Stratosphere said:

Homework Statement

A basic example is [tex]\sqrt{x-1}[/tex]=x-7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I end up with an x[tex]^{2}[/tex] and a normal x I don't know to to solve it.
So that's a quadratic equation, isn't it? You can solve quadratic equations by factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula.

I thought this was a radical equation? Not a quadric one. If this is a quadric one I don't have to worry abought that yet then.
How do you solve somthing with a root on both side then? Like [tex]\sqrt{3x+2}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{2x}[/tex]= 35, I keep getting an answer that's too high.

Last edited:
Turn it into

[tex] \sqrt{3x+2} = 35 - \sqrt{2x}[/tex]

square both sides

[tex]3x+2 = 35^2 + 2x - 70 \sqrt{2x}[/tex]

and now you only have one square root

Stratosphere, your first example, [tex]\sqrt{x-1}[/tex] = x - 7, should give you no complications when you square both sides. It WILL give you a quadratic equation. Either you can (after suitable algebraic steps) factor and solve, or you can complete the square/use solution to quadratic equation to solve.

were does the -70 come from?

[tex] (35-\sqrt{2x})^2 [/tex]

Expand it out.

Don't forget, when you square the radical, you can end up finding solutions for x that do not work. You have to go through and check these solutions with your original equation to make sure that each value works.

Oh and how do you know what is a,b and c when using the quadratic formula?

The general form of a quadratic equation is [tex]ax^{2} + bx + c = 0[/tex]. Hopefully that answers your question. ;)

1. What is "solving for X on both sides"?

Solving for X on both sides is a method used in algebra to isolate the variable "X" in an equation by performing the same operations on both sides of the equation. This allows you to find the value of "X" that makes the equation true.

2. When do I need to solve for X on both sides?

You need to solve for X on both sides when you have an equation with the variable "X" on both sides and you need to find the value of "X" that makes the equation true. Solving for X on both sides allows you to isolate "X" and find its value.

3. What is the order of operations when solving for X on both sides?

The order of operations when solving for X on both sides is the same as in regular algebra. You should always start by combining like terms on each side of the equation, then use inverse operations to isolate "X". Finally, perform any remaining operations to find the value of "X".

4. Can I solve for X on both sides if there are fractions or decimals in the equation?

Yes, you can still solve for X on both sides if there are fractions or decimals in the equation. You may need to use additional steps, such as multiplying both sides by the least common denominator, to eliminate the fractions or decimals and isolate "X".

5. Is there a specific strategy for solving for X on both sides?

There is no one specific strategy for solving for X on both sides. It is important to follow the order of operations and use inverse operations to isolate "X". It may also be helpful to simplify the equation as much as possible before solving for "X".