Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for x (quadratic)

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    How do you explicitly solve for x in terms of y using this quadratic formula?

y = 2x2 + x

I need to solve for x in order to find the inverse fxn. I know how to factor, but after that I'm stuck.
    Any suggestions?

~Jules~

* And what about polynomials of a higher order, like x3 + 2x2 + x, or something similar?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no inverse function for y = 2x^2 + x. For some values of y there are more than one value of x (eg. y = 0 or y = 1). So you cannot express x in terms of y.

AM

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you not aware of the quadratic formula? If [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c= 0[/itex] then [itex]x= (-b\pm\sqrt{b^2- 4ac})/(2a)[/itex].

In particular, if [itex]y= 2x^2+ x[/itex] then [itex]2x^2+ x- y= 0[/itex] so
    [tex]\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{1+8y}}{4}[/tex]

It is that [itex]\pm[/itex] that prevents this from being a "true" inverse, as Andrew Mason said. We could divide y into two functions, restricting the domain:

If [itex]f_1(x)= 2x^2+ x[/itex] for [itex]-\infty< x\le -1/4[/itex] then
    [tex]f_1^{-1}(x)= \frac{-1-\sqrt{1+8x}{4}[/tex]

If [tex]f_2(x)= 2x^2+ x[/itex] for [itex]-1/4\le x< \infty[/itex] then
    [tex]f_2^{-1}(x)= \frac{-1+ \sqrt{1+8x}{4}[/tex]

There is a general formula for cubics and quartics but they are extremely complicated. It can be shown that cannot be a general formula solve polynomial equations of degree higher than four using only algebraic functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook