Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for X

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    Hello, I'm doing some physics work where I need to isolate the varibles but I've sadly forgotten how to do this. I've never used this in my work for a few years now so I'm stuck on the steps.

If anyone can direct me to a site or let me know the steps for isolating that would be great.

I'm trying to isolate these for example:

x/z = rty (for t)

tyr = x/z

t = xyr/z

(Not even sure if this is right. I put t on the left side, then multiplied both sides by yr to get the answer.)

x = r+yz (for r)

r+yz = x

r = x - yz

(Not even sure if this is right either. I put r on the left side then subtracted yz from both sides to get this answer.)

I somewhat understand how to do it for these two. I usually get the answer after a guess and check but is there a certain order you need to use to get it right?

My main problem is for questions like this:

y = x^2/zr

I have no idea on how to isolate anything with powers.

(No, this is not a homework question. I made the equations up so I can understand the concepts.)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

simple algebra. the various axioms of numbers that you learn in introductory algebra must become almost automatic. Properties of Equality, inverse operations...

Your first two are correct.
  4. Nov 15, 2007 #3
    Alright, thanks! I'll check google some more for Properties of Equality and inverse operations.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?