Isolating Variables: A Step-by-Step Guide for Physics Work

In summary, the individual is seeking help with isolating variables in physics equations. They have provided examples and are struggling with equations involving powers. They understand the concept but are looking for a better understanding of Properties of Equality and inverse operations to help them solve these types of equations.
cjp88
Hello, I'm doing some physics work where I need to isolate the varibles but I've sadly forgotten how to do this. I've never used this in my work for a few years now so I'm stuck on the steps.

If anyone can direct me to a site or let me know the steps for isolating that would be great.

I'm trying to isolate these for example:

x/z = rty (for t)

tyr = x/z

t = xyr/z

(Not even sure if this is right. I put t on the left side, then multiplied both sides by yr to get the answer.)

x = r+yz (for r)

r+yz = x

r = x - yz

(Not even sure if this is right either. I put r on the left side then subtracted yz from both sides to get this answer.)

I somewhat understand how to do it for these two. I usually get the answer after a guess and check but is there a certain order you need to use to get it right?

My main problem is for questions like this:

y = x^2/zr

I have no idea on how to isolate anything with powers.

(No, this is not a homework question. I made the equations up so I can understand the concepts.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cjp88,

simple algebra. the various axioms of numbers that you learn in introductory algebra must become almost automatic. Properties of Equality, inverse operations...

Your first two are correct.

Alright, thanks! I'll check google some more for Properties of Equality and inverse operations.

1. What is the purpose of isolating variables in physics work?

The purpose of isolating variables in physics work is to determine the relationship between different variables and understand how changes in one variable affect the others. This allows scientists to make accurate predictions and calculations in their experiments.

2. What are the steps involved in isolating variables?

The steps involved in isolating variables include identifying the dependent and independent variables, setting up an equation with the known variables, rearranging the equation to isolate the variable of interest, and solving for the unknown variable.

3. Why is it important to isolate variables in physics work?

Isolating variables is important because it helps eliminate any confounding factors that may affect the outcome of an experiment. By isolating variables, scientists can determine the true relationship between the variables being studied.

4. Can you provide an example of isolating variables in a physics experiment?

One example of isolating variables in a physics experiment is determining the velocity of an object by measuring the time it takes to travel a certain distance. In this case, the distance and time are the independent variables, while the velocity is the dependent variable. By isolating the time variable in the equation v=d/t, we can solve for the velocity.

5. Are there any limitations to isolating variables in physics work?

Yes, there are limitations to isolating variables in physics work. In some cases, it may be difficult to isolate a single variable due to the complexity of the system or external factors that cannot be controlled. Additionally, isolated variables may not always accurately represent real-world situations, so it is important to consider the limitations when interpreting results.