Solving for X: Physics Homework Help Needed

In summary, the conversation was about a physics homework problem involving solving for X. The problem involved a backpacker walking at different velocities and the goal was to find the distance she walked in the east direction. The expert suggested multiplying both sides of the equation by the denominator of the right-hand side, which would gather the terms involving X. The student then asked for clarification on how to proceed and the expert provided further guidance on how to gather terms.
pookisantoki
I'm having trouble solving for X for one of my physics homework
1.09= ([5580-x]/[2426.0867+(x/.430)])
Please help! Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
pookisantoki said:
I'm having trouble solving for X for one of my physics homework
1.09= ([5580-x]/[2426.0867+(x/.430)])
Please help! Thank you

Welcome to the PF. Per the PF Rules (see the link at the top of the page), you must do the work on your homework questions. I can give you a hint to get you started -- multiple both sides of the equation by the denominator of the right-hand side (RHS). Show your work.

Sorry, it probably just looked like i wanted an answer but this was my set up for a problem that went like this and I just had problem trying to figure out how to solve for X. Like where to go after setting it up

This was the problem:
In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks wiwth an average velocity of 1.09 m/s, due west. This average velocity results, because she hikes for 5.58km with an average velocity of 2.30m/s due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of .430 m/s due east. How far east ddid she walk (in km)

So you said to multiply both side by .430 or this whole thing [2426.0867+(x/.430)]?

pookisantoki said:
Sorry, it probably just looked like i wanted an answer but this was my set up for a problem that went like this and I just had problem trying to figure out how to solve for X. Like where to go after setting it up

This was the problem:
In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks wiwth an average velocity of 1.09 m/s, due west. This average velocity results, because she hikes for 5.58km with an average velocity of 2.30m/s due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of .430 m/s due east. How far east ddid she walk (in km)

So you said to multiply both side by .430 or this whole thing [2426.0867+(x/.430)]?

Multiple both sides by the denominator of the RHS. What does that do to the RHS?

K so I multipled it
1.09 * (2426.0867 + (x/.430))=5580-x

2644.4345+ (1.09x/.4687)=5580-x

If i was to subtract 5580 on with side and switch -x to +x., What about the X on the other side?

pookisantoki said:
K so I multipled it
1.09 * (2426.0867 + (x/.430))=5580-x

2644.4345+ (1.09x/.4687)=5580-x

If i was to subtract 5580 on with side and switch -x to +x., What about the X on the other side?

Your goal in this algebra problem is to gaher terms. Gather the terms that involve X, and use the distributive rule...

1. What is "Solving for X" in physics?

"Solving for X" in physics refers to the process of finding the value of an unknown variable, typically represented by the letter "x", in a mathematical equation. This is an important step in solving physics problems and understanding the relationships between different variables.

2. Why is solving for X important in physics?

Solving for X is important in physics because it allows us to determine the values of important variables in a given equation, which in turn helps us understand the behavior of physical systems and make predictions about their future states. It also helps us to test and validate scientific theories and models.

3. What are some key strategies for solving for X in physics?

Some key strategies for solving for X in physics include identifying the known and unknown variables in the equation, using algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable on one side of the equation, and using appropriate mathematical operations to solve for the variable.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving for X in physics?

To improve your skills in solving for X in physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and mathematical operations. Practice with a variety of problems, and make sure you understand the concepts and principles behind the equations you are using. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for X in physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for X in physics include forgetting to include units in your final answer, making algebraic errors such as dropping negative signs or combining terms incorrectly, and not double-checking your work for accuracy. It is also important to be cautious of rounding errors when dealing with real-world measurements and calculations.