Solving 2y^2 + xy = x^2 + 3: Stuck at y = \frac{x^2 + 3}{2y = x}

• Thread starter Jeff Ford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation was about solving a quadratic equation for y. The two methods discussed were using the quadratic formula and completing the square. The final answer included a "plus-minus" symbol, indicating that there are two possible solutions for y. The conversation ended with a tip about using variables in the quadratic formula.
Jeff Ford
I'm trying to solve the following equation for y
[tex] 2y^2 + xy = x^2 + 3 [/tex]
So far I've gotten it down to [tex] y = \frac{x^2 + 3}{2y = x} [/tex]
Or I've tried [tex] (2y-x)(y+x) = 3 [/tex]
But I'm stuck at that. Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for this sort of thing, I think we need to treat y as a variable and x as a constant. This leaves us with a quadratic expression in y (with x^2 + 3 as a constant), which means that we can complete the square and make y the subject of the equation...

Final tip: In your final answer, there should be a "plus-minus" symbol somewhere...

All the best!

You won't be able to get a unique solution for y, since the equation is quadratic in y. If you see that, you can just solve it like any other quadratic equation, using the abc-formula. The only difference is that there won't only be numerical coefficients, but also x's but that's no problem.

So it would be
[tex] y = \frac{-x \pm \sqrt{9x^2 + 24} }{4} [/tex]

Yes, that's exactly it.

Much obliged!

Exactly, as you see: you can use it with variables as well :smile:

1. What is the first step in solving 2y^2 + xy = x^2 + 3 when stuck at y = \frac{x^2 + 3}{2y = x}?

The first step is to substitute the given value of y into the equation, so the equation becomes 2(\frac{x^2 + 3}{2y = x})^2 + x(\frac{x^2 + 3}{2y = x}) = x^2 + 3.

2. How do you simplify the left side of the equation after substituting y = \frac{x^2 + 3}{2y = x}?

To simplify the left side, you can multiply out the squared term and distribute the x term, which results in \frac{x^4 + 6x^2 + 9}{4y^2 = x^2} + \frac{x^3 + 3x}{2y = x} = x^2 + 3.

3. What is the next step after simplifying the left side of the equation?

The next step is to combine like terms, which in this case is the \frac{x^4 + 6x^2 + 9}{4y^2 = x^2} and \frac{x^3 + 3x}{2y = x} terms. This results in \frac{x^4 + 8x^3 + 12x^2 + 3x + 9}{4y^2 = x^2} = x^2 + 3.

4. How can you solve for x in this equation?

To solve for x, you can move all terms with x to one side of the equation and all constant terms to the other side. This results in x^4 + 8x^3 + 8x^2 - x^2 - 3x - 9 = 0. Then, you can use factoring or the quadratic formula to solve for x.

5. What is the final step in solving this equation?

The final step is to plug in the value of x into the equation y = \frac{x^2 + 3}{2y = x} to solve for y. This results in two possible solutions: (x,y) = (-3, -\frac{1}{2}) or (x,y) = (1, 2).