How Much Force Does the Larger Trunk Exert on the Smaller Trunk?

• Thread starter Sace Ver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: Right, though as E=mc2 noted you have to fill in two missing pieces of information to arrive at that: that the trunks are not moving, but if the force between the trunks were any greater they would be.
Sace Ver

Homework Statement

Two trunks sit side by side on the floor. The larger trunk (52kg) is to the left of the smaller trunk (34 kg). A person pushes on the larger trunk horizontally toward the right. The coefficient of static friction between the trunks and floor is 0.35. Calculate the force the larger trunk exerts on the smaller trunk?

mass of larger trunk = 52kg
mass of smaller trunk = 34kg
uk = 0.35

Homework Equations

uf = Ff/FN
Fnet = sum of all forces

The Attempt at a Solution

FSmax = usFN
FSmax = (0.35)(86kg)(9.8N/kg)
FSmax = 290N

FN = mg
FN = (52kg)(9.8N/kg)
FN = 509.6N

Not quite sure if doing right steps or what to do next?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you've given us the problem? It seems something is missing.

Mister T said:
Are you sure you've given us the problem? It seems something is missing.
The magnitude of the maximum force the person can exert without moving either trunk is 290N! And that's basically it!

Sace Ver said:
The magnitude of the maximum force the person can exert without moving either trunk is 290N!

Agreed, but nowhere in the statement of the problem is it mentioned that the maximum force is being applied. Neither do they state that the trunks aren't moving.

Anyway, if you make those assumptions the next step is to look at the horizontal force applied to the 34 kg trunk. Or to the horizontal forces applied to the 52 kg trunk. Drawing the free body diagrams is a big help.

Mister T said:
Agreed, but nowhere in the statement of the problem is it mentioned that the maximum force is being applied. Neither do they state that the trunks aren't moving.

Anyway, if you make those assumptions the next step is to look at the horizontal force applied to the 34 kg trunk. Or to the horizontal forces applied to the 52 kg trunk. Drawing the free body diagrams is a big help.
I'm pretty sure the trunks are not moving meaning acceleration would be zero and so would Fnet? And I drew the FBD and just wondering would FT and FF cancel each other out?

What are FT and FF?

Mister T said:
What are FT and FF?
I think I made an error on my FBD, because I have yet to find FT but would FF be 290N?
And I'm looking for FT right? And I'm just wondering if FT equals FSmax?

What I meant was, how are you defining FT and FF?

Mister T said:
What I meant was, how are you defining FT and FF?
I think I figured it out

Fsmax = usF N
Fsmax = (0.35)(34kg)(9.8N/kg)
Fsmax = 120N

Sace Ver said:
I think I figured it out

Fsmax = usF N
Fsmax = (0.35)(34kg)(9.8N/kg)
Fsmax = 120N
Right, though as E=mc2 noted you have to fill in two missing pieces of information to arrive at that: that the trunks are not moving, but if the force between the trunks were any greater they would be. In the question as given, the pusher could be just breathing heavily against the larger trunk.

1. What is friction and why is it important to solve friction problems?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It is important to solve friction problems because it affects the efficiency and performance of many mechanical systems, and can lead to wear and tear of materials.

2. How do you calculate friction force?

Friction force can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What are the different types of friction?

The three types of friction are static friction, kinetic friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are at rest relative to each other, kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other, and rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

4. How can you reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Other methods include polishing or smoothing the surfaces, using rolling instead of sliding motion, and using materials with lower coefficients of friction.

5. How can you solve a friction problem in a real-world scenario?

To solve a friction problem in a real-world scenario, you would first identify the surfaces in contact and the type of friction present. Then, calculate the friction force using the appropriate equation. Finally, analyze the results and make adjustments, such as changing materials or using lubricants, to reduce friction and improve performance.